Sunday, July 3, 2016

Music Really Was Better Back In The 80's: April, 1986 Chart Flashback (Thanks to Entertainment Weekly)

Hello,

I'm fairly sure I've done one of these blogs before, these are the Top Ten songs from one week in April, 1986. This chart flashback captures what made the 80s so great for music. (Speaking of great music back in the day, I urge you to skip "Greatest Hits" on ABC. It's very boring. Way too much talking and filler and not enough singing. I had to turn it off even with Kenny Loggins singing "Footloose", one of my all-time favorite 80's songs. I didn't turn it off because of him, I just didn't have the desire to sit through all the filler.) This one slice of 80s music contains funk, unabashedly pop music, old school rock, new wave music, quirky songs, great sax solos, soft slow bedroom jams and Van Hagar. Enjoy.

Honestly I didn't remember this song, but it's a great song. However it has definitely aged a bit. 10) Force M.D.'s "Tender Love":


I don't know where you are on original Van Halen vs. Van Hagar. Sammy definitely has the better voice. Honestly I like both iterations of Van Halen, but I absolutely adore this song. 9) I just want to know one thing "Why Can't This Be Love":


This song doesn't really fit in with the other songs in this Top Ten. I have to admit the Sesame Street song "which of these is not like the others" came to mind when I saw this song. This song is meh, Mick is faking like he's having fun. However Keith, Charlie and the others would rather be almost anywhere else. 8) The Rolling Stones "Harlem Shuffle":


These Rolling Stones 80s songs fit much better in the 80s:

This is one song that hasn't aged, it's just as funky and great as when it was first released. "Start Me Up":


"Emotional Rescue":


"She's So Cold":


"Mixed Emotions":


This song is so 80s 7) Sly Fox's "Let's Go All The Way":


Probably the 80's band that best used the saxophone in their music. 6) INXS "What You Need":


As EW says "this song is flawless". 5) Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls":



4) Falco "Rock Me Amadeus":



3) Robert Palmer "Addicted To Love":



2) The Bangles "Manic Monday":



The King of Funk himself, Prince. I remember the first time I heard this song, I thought to myself what the hell is this? As usual Prince knew exactly what he was doing with this slice of funk.

I'm so glad his music can be found on youtube now. 1) "Kiss":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites