Thursday, July 7, 2016

themusicaddict's Review of Paula Hawkins "The Girl On The Train"

Hello,

This obviously is my review of "The Girl On The Train". Let's clear up one thing first. I've heard this book referred to as the next "Gone Girl". Other than a few similarities in story, nothing could be further from the truth. "Gone Girl" is an over hyped book. I ripped through "Gone Girl" until I got to the twist, which completely killed the book. I finished the book, but I was severely disappointed by it. "Girl On The Train" has also received a lot of hype, I'm happy to report that this book lives up to the hype.

Main characters:

Rachel, aka the girl on the train. Our dear Rachel is a bit of a mess. She's a drunk, has lost her job and is still hung up on her ex-husband, Tom. Rachel is forced to live with an old college acquaintance, Cathy. She didn't even consider Cathy a friend when they were in college together. But as the book starts she's the only friend Rachel has. (The gorgeous Emily Blunt is cast as Rachel in the movie, that's terrible casting. Emily Blunt is a great actress, but I don't think she can play the right amount of dowdy for this role. Honestly I don't understand much of the casting for the film adaptation, maybe it will make more sense once I see the movie.)

Again Cathy is probably the best (the only?) friend that Rachel has. She truly cares about and takes care of Rachel. (Cathy is played by Laura Prepon, which I don't get that either.) Rachel lives in a spare room at Cathy's place. Cathy has a man so Rachel is left to her own devices most of the time. Cathy takes on the defacto mother role for Rachel.

Anna, Tom's new wife, they have a child together.

Tom Watson, no not that Tom Watson, Tom and Rachel have been divorced for over a year. However while his marriage dissolved with Rachel, he was having an affair with Anna. Tom is someone else that Rachel has idealized in her head.

Megan Hipwell, who briefly babysat Tom and Anna's child, and is married to Scott Hipwell. Megan is the woman who goes missing that kicks the book into gear. Although her disappearance almost feels beside the point. As the girl on the train Rachel named these two Jess and Jason, a couple who she idealized way more than she should have. As does nearly everyone in this book, Megan has a few secrets.

Scott Hipwell, husband to Megan,

Dr. Kamal Abdic, therapist to Megan and later to Rachel.

The basic premise is as Rachel takes the train to work she sees Jess and Jason, a couple she has idealized as close to the perfect couple. She creates this whole life in her head for them. But one day something shatters that illusion and pretty soon after Megan goes missing. Is Megan missing  due to her own volition or has been there foul play? If Megan has been killed, is Rachel responsible? Is Megan's husband, Scott, responsible.

Rachel sometimes drinks herself to oblivion and many times forget things. Is she a reliable narrator?

One way I determine if a book is good is if I would recommend it? Also after reading a book do I want to read any more books by that author? The answer to both of those questions is a hardy yes. I like to read a bit at a time, figure out things as I savor a book. However I only had 100 pages left and couldn't wait any more. As soon as I got home from running errands on Wednesday, I went outside and finished reading this book.

Another sign of a great book is a great ending. Well this had a great ending. I know that twist endings were a fad there for awhile. So that got sort of tired. This book has a twist ending. However Hawkins set it up so well and skillfully that the ending is completely belivable.

Great book Miss Hawkins!

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites