Saturday, January 14, 2017

Comparison and Contrast of the original 1972 "Ziggy Stardust" & 1983's "Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture"

Hello,

This is part of my research for writing a series of countdown blogs for my # 45 80's musicians of all-time, Mr. David Bowie. I had seriously considered the songs from "Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture" to be used in my countdown blogs. But after overthinking about it I decided against that. First it's a live CD, songs from which I usually don't use in my countdown blogs. Second of all the Ziggy Stardust CDs aren't even close to the 80's era. For my Bowie blogs I'll be considering 1977 "Heroes" to his second studio CD with Tin Machine, 1991's Tin Machine 2.

This is a comparison and contrast between two CDs. The first is 1972's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" original CD. The second is 1983's "Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture".

Although the two CDs were released 11 years apart, they were recorded within a year of each other. The original CD was released June 6, 1972 and the live soundtrack was recorded July 3rd, 1973. Other than the Ziggy Stardust title, the two CDs don't share many songs. Only four songs are on both CDs. Those songs are also radically different, studio vs. live, different arrangements and honestly the four songs are better on the original CD.

Those four songs are:
"Moonage Daydream":
original:


soundtrack version:


"Ziggy Stardust"
original:


soundtrack version:


"Suffragette City":
original: 


soundtrack version:


"Rock 'n' Roll Suicide":
original:


soundtrack version: 


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites