Saturday, July 15, 2017

From Uncut: The History of Rock: 1988 & The Best Songs of 1988 Part 1 (Finished July 15th, 2017)

Hello,

Inspired by the magazine  The History of Rock: 1988, I thought I would take a look back at a year from 29 years ago.

In no way do I agree with the ranking of songs from the following video, I thought this would be a good touchstone/ remembrance of some of the best songs from 1988. I don't know who put together the order of these songs, but a band named The Bros has at least 3 songs on these rankings. That's a band I've never heard of and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I also noticed this countdown has a strong bias towards 80's teen pop and British bands. Also a lot of these songs I've never heard before. With how much music I've listened to in my life,  I'm not sure how that happened unless the songs weren't really popular then either. Anyway here's one person's ranking of the best songs of 1988:


These are the top songs on that countdown, if you're interested check them out free on Youtube.com. I will highlight the songs from 1988 that are most interesting to me later.

10) Pet Shop Boys "Heart":
9) Kylie Minogue "I Should Be So Lucky":


8) Phil Collins "A Groovy Kind of Love":
7) Breathe "Hands To Heaven"
6) Belinda Carlisle "Heaven Is A Place On Earth":


5) Whitney Houston "So Emotional":
4) Glen Mederios "Nothing Gonna Change My Love For You":


3) Guns N' Roses "Sweet Child o' Mine":
2) INXS "I Need You Tonight":
1) George Michael "Faith":

One of my favorite things about the 80s was how diverse the hit music was. According to Billboard only 11 CDs reached # 1 that year. However multiple CDs reached #1 multiple times. Tiffany's self-titled CD and Guns n' Roses classic "Appetite For Destruction" were both # 1 that year. Other classic CDs from that year include Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back", George Michael's "Faith", Van Halen's "OU812", Def Leppard's "Hysteria", Tracy Chapman's self-titled debut, Bon Jovi's "New Jersey", U2's "Rattle and Hum", Sinead O'Connor's "The Lion and the Cobra" and Anita Baker's "Giving You The Best That I Got".

Other milestone CDs include N.W.A.'s "Straight Outta Compton", Metallica's "...And Justice For All", Prince's "Lovesexy", Morrissey's solo debut "Viva Hate", R.E.M.'s "Green", Ozzy Osborne's "No Rest For The Wicked", Jane's Addiction's "Nothing Shocking", Living Color's "Vivid", Tracy Chapman's self-titled debut, Erasure's "The Innocents" and Siouxsie and the Banshee's "Peepshow".

Let's start off first with this Prince song I had never heard of "I Wish U Heaven":


Fat Boys with Chubby Checker "The Twist":


Icehouse "Electric Blue":


Enya's "Orinoco Flow (Sail Away)":


Bangles "Hazy Shade of Winter":


Morrissey's "Suedehead":


The Primitives "Crash":


New Order's "Blue Monday 88":


Public Enemy "Don't Believe The Hype":


Living Color "Cult of Personality":


Tracy Chapman "Fast Car":


Danny Wilson "Mary's Prayer":


Brenda K Starr "I Still Believe":



A song that isn't as good as I remember it. Maxi Priest "Wild World":



Still my favorite fake band ever, I love, still, their first and only CD. Milli Vanilli "Girl You Know It's True":



Sugarcubes "Birthday":



Paula Abdul "Straight Up":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites