Tuesday, October 24, 2017

(Finished October 25th, 2017) The Greatest Songs of All-Time By Genre: Standards and Oldies

Hello,

I've been thinking about this series of blogs for some time and have been working on a list the last couple of days. My goal is to find and post the Top 100 songs of all-time. However I'm not foolish enough to think that I'll actually count them down. Instead what I'm going to do is find the Top 100ish greatest songs of all-time. To make this easier for me, I'm going to break this down by genre. I have tried to keep only one song per artist, but have found that impossible. I'm breaking this down by genres, Broadway, Country, Pop, Rock, New Wave & Alternative, Standards, Reggae, Rap, Disco, Blues & Soul. I'll admit some of these genres are going to blend into each other- so I'm acknowledging that up front.

For lack of a better phrase: Standards and Oldies

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken":


Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin":


Bobby Darin "Mack The Knife":


"Luck Be A Lady":



For most songs there's a definitive, or at least more popular version, of it. I'm not a big fan of Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah", so I just picked a random version that I liked. When I have more time I may try to find a more definitive version. This is a decent, but not great version, of this song. Kate Voegele's "Hallelujah":



Frank Sinatra's "My Way":



Frank Sinatra's "New York New York":



Okay, people may think I'm crazy with this song. However Miss O'Connor has such a great voice and she absolutely owns this song. "Success Has Made A Failure of Our Home":



Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries":



Rossini's "William Tell Overture":



Orff's "O Fortuna - Carmina Burana":



Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture (Finale)":



This seemed the most appropriate place to put this song in, as this is based on Gregorian chants. Enigma "Mea Culpa":



"Sadeness":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites