Saturday, October 20, 2018

(Started October 20th, 2018) Metallica's Black Album: Perhaps The 90's Greatest Rock Album?

Hello,

On August 16th, 1991 the world was introduced to Metallica's self-titled album. It's also known as The Black Album with it's mostly black cover and a very well hidden snake. I remember I was on the fence about buying this CD as at the time as I didn't love Metallica. I was sort of meh on their previous CD "...And Justice For All", that is except for the very haunting "One". That's a great song and a great video and the song is undeniably catchy.


Needless to say The Black Album shattered every single one of my expectations. It's still one of my 100 most favorite CDs. I listened once again to The Black Album again and it still sounds amazing, every song is a classic. What brought this amazing CD to mind was a feature in the April 1, 2018 Classic Rock magazine. The cover story is "The Real 100 Greatest Albums of the 90s". They have some wonky methodology coming up with their rankings. But having The Black Album at #1 felt right. I would have been good with a few CDs at #1, but there's no doubt that The Black Album is one of the greatest rock CDs of the 90s. This album has sold 16 million copies in the US alone and is still selling 5,000 copies a week.

Metallica made this CD with producer Bob Rock, who they considered abandoning when making this CD.

The band at the time:

Other CDs I would've been okay with as #1 on Classic Rock's rankings. 1) G N' R "Use Your Illusion 1 & 2", 2) Alice In Chains "Dirt", 3) Pearl Jam's "10" (although I think "Vs." is the better CD) and 4) Soundgarden's "Superunknown".

Hetfield isn't a big fan of "Through The Never", "Don't Tread On Me" and "Holier Than Thou". (Much of what I have written on this blog comes from that Classic Rock magazine I have referenced.)

1) "Enter Sandman":


"Do you want heavy? Do you want heavy now?" 2) "Sad But True":


Bob Rock wanted to make this the first single, for which Metallica still give him crap about. However I don't think that's so crazy as this is an amazing song. 3) "Holier Than Thou":



4) "The Unforgiven":



5) Wherever I May Roam":



Lars Ulrich doesn't like the "shuffle vibe" of this song. 6) "Don't Tread On Me":



Sorry James I think this might be my favorite song on the CD. 7) "Through The Never":



8) "Nothing Else Matters":



9) "Of Wolf and Man":
10) "The God That Failed":
11) "My Friend of Misery":
12) "The Struggle Within":

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites