Monday, May 2, 2022

(Finished May 2nd, 2022) Part 1 of The Best New Wave Songs of 1982

Hello,

I've been wanting to do a blog series like this for awhile. What kind of songs were big hits 40 years ago, it's hard to believe all these songs are at least 40 years old.

I'll pick five or more songs from 1953 to 2022. I would've started an earlier year but I'm not very familiar with songs of the years up to 1952. In 1952 I was still 15 years from being born, please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. 1953 is the first year I actually know six songs by title alone. I'll be posting anywhere between five to ten to who knows songs for each year. As these blogs continue I find more songs that I can't find a reason to leave off the list. So much for the five to ten songs for each year.

Sometimes I like to organize these blogs by genre. The main problem with that is some songs could be genre defying. Just what genre is Royal Philharmonic Orchestra's "Hooked On Classics". Some songs can be multiple genres. I would argue The Go-Go's could be rock or pop. Also some bands have songs that could be considered multiple genres, see Journey, Foreigner and a few other bands. So admitting all those issues I tried to be as consistent as possible.

Also if a song was a hit or released in two different years I count it as a hit in both years. That would explain the overlap. You can't hear a classic song too many times.

Sticking with the theme this is the first of the best new wave songs of 1982.

1) The Human League "Don't You Want Me":


2) Soft Cell "Tainted Love":


3) Men At Work "Down Under":


4) A Flock of Seagulls "I Ran (So Far Away)":


5) Men At Work "Be Good Johnny":


6) Duran Duran "Hungry Like A Wolf":


7) Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come On Eileen":


8) Men Without Hats "The Safety Dance":


9) Peter Gabriel "Shock The Monkey":


10) Modern English "Melt With You":


11) Berlin "Sex (I'm A...)":


12) The Clocks "She Looks A Lot Like You":


13) Culture Club "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me":


14) Duran Duran "Save A Prayer":


15) The Producers "She Sheila":


16) The English Beat "Save It For Later":


17) The Flirts "Don't Put A Dime In The Jukebox":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites