Monday, May 25, 2009

"AI" Season Finale Part 1

Hello,

I finally got around to watching this past week's "American Idol" last night. I'll get to that in a moment. We watched "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" last night as a family activity. The best thing I can say about that movie is that it's only 90 minutes long. It's an okay movie and it fits the definition of what is called a "video movie". I'm also going to see "Terminator: Salvation" today. I'm a little nervous as it's only getting a C+ grade from the critics. I'm trying to lessen my expectations. It would be cool to be as blown away as when I saw "Terminator 2" for the first time.

Back to the "AI" season finale: Tuesday night's performance show was one of the most boring episodes of this season. As usual this episode was full of filler and hype, two things I desperately hate. The first performance didn't start until 7:08 and it wasn't until 7:19 when the second performance was over. Four minutes of singing in 19 minutes of airtime. For me this season a very uninteresting Top Three. (Again I cannot emphasize enough how little I want to go see the "AI" tour. I have a feeling the highlights are going to be few and far between.) In the finals I have no rooting interest in either Kris Allen or Adam Lambert. I'm neutral on both. I think Adam will be a star, but will he ever sing anything that interests me I just don't know. Then I have 0 expectations that Kris Allen is ever going to do anything worthy of my hard earned money. I think "Heartless" may be the only exception. If he turns into a superstar that's fine. I have a feeling he could be another Taylor Hicks.

Again tuesday night's show was absolutely boring. First of all why are the singers forced to sing a song from earlier in the season. Adam Lambert does a pretty good version of "Mad World". However did I want to see it again this soon? NO! As usual the judges are drooling all over themselves. They are just robots, repeating what the producers want them to say. Simon is probably the exception to that rule. The lame Kara said that Adam "changed up the competition for every other contestant". I'm so sick of the hype from her. Paula said that she was "proud" of Adam. (Cue pukefest!) Grade: A-. Buy? No.

Kris Allen also was forced to sing a song from earlier in the season, he sang "Ain't No Sunshine". He has the advantage over Adam with this song, because Danny also sang this song this season. So anything Kris does with it, he'll be a hero. Can I just say I'm not a big fan of his parents. Seriously why didn't someone say to his Mom, do not wear that red dress. His Dad looked great, his Mom not so much. Again I'm just not impressed with Allen's wimpy voice. He seems like a nice guy but he just doesn't do anything musically for me. I want to be entertained and made happy and some rocking wouldn't hurt. Kara gave another one of her lame critiques, she said if Allen's performance "doesn't move you, there's something wrong with you". There is nothing wrong with me, Kris Allen is just Mr. Vanilla. My wife says he is "too boyish". Maybe after he has more life experiences, he'll be a more interesting artist. Paula gave one of her new age critiques that Allen "awakens the spirit in all of us". It's time for Paula and her non-sensical critiques to leave. Grade: B. Buy? No!

At 7:25 Adam Lambert sings "A Change Is Gonna Come". The Sam Cooke is great, it's a very moving song. I've heard some people say that that song comes to fruition with Barack Obama. Lambert unleashed his patented and tiresome screech on this song. He also took all the heart and the soul out of this song with the janky arrangement. Randy gave one of his (sarcasm alert) insightful critiques when he said Lambert "can sing his face off". What does that mean anyway? Although it's good to see Randy has improved to 7 critiques in his arsenal. (I loved Wednesday's montage of his "for me, for you".) Who cares what Kara's critique was, she's so damn annoying. Paula was being loopy tonight and called Lambert "iconic". I don't think coming in second in a reality TV show makes you iconic. Simon's critiques was hilarious in it's stupidity. He said "Lambert was back in the game". Really I didn't know he was ever out of the game. Grade: B-. Buy? No.

The fourth performance of the night was Kris Allen singing "What's Going On". Again another performance that isn't worthy of the original. This was another boring performance on a very boring night. Also he has that weak facial hair. Dude if you can't look masculine, don't grow it. Weak facial hair makes you look wussy. Yet another stupid Kara critique on this performance, you "make them think, make them feel, make them change". Paula is in charge of the loopy, new agey critiques Kara. Kara also told him that he was "true to himself". Grade: C+. Buy: ick.

Now on to that song, the very boring, Kara co-written "No Boundaries". Seriously can't they give the "AI" winner a good song ever. This might be the worst of them all. Hopefully this will be last of Kara defilement of "American Idol". How can they even consider bringing her back. She has been terrible all season and please let this be the last injustice. Please get a real song next season. This show has begin to fade into being cancelled. Terrible judges and horrible songs is making this show spiral towards the end.

Adam Lambert had the chore of tackling that janky song first. Randy: "dude you can sing anything". Kara: its "amazing for you to sing a song we've written". It's amazing that anyone sings a song that Kara has written. She has written some of the crappiest songs of this era. Paula: "adjectives can't express what you've brought to this show". Yet another puketastic critique. Simon said he was going to be a "worldwide star". That might be true but not with songs like that. Grade: C-. Buy? No!

Then it was Kris Allen's turn to be penalized and forced to sing that song. He sang a very wimpy version of that very bad song. Randy then was reading from Paula's new age book. (BTW: That book is for sale at amazon.com. The title is, "How To Be Really Crappy At Your Job In One Easy Step". It's currently the least selling book on amazon.com. It's right behind Dick Cheney's "How To Be A Great Leader".) He said, "you should be very proud." Not of that song. Kara: you "have come into your own". Paula: "amazing job". Simon: the "first song was highlight". Grade: D. Buy? No. Although to show how popular Kris Allen is, this song went to #1 on iTunes. Hopefully the songs on his debut CD are a lot better, how could they be worse?

My DVR cut off the gorgeous Carrie Underwood singing "Home Sweet Home". That was the best performance of the night. A great singer and a great song. Carrie Underwood is a real "American Idol".

Happy Memorial Day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites