Sunday, May 10, 2009

American Idol Top 10 5/10/2009

Hello, (Updated 8:07 PM MST)

I hope everyone is having a happy Mother's day.

Here's my Top 10 for "American Idol" on this beautiful Spring day, at least in Utah. I told you I was going to be shaking up my list. Frankly I'm not real pleased either Kris Allen or Danny Gokey made it to the top three. Danny Gokey is just a like a cockroach in many ways, but namely in that nothing can kill him. He gave a barely mediocre version of "Dream On" Tuesday night and he's still in the competition? Not only that but the judges gave him props for trying. I thought this was a singing competition, not a trying competition. Of course with him still in it, it's very trying for me to have to hear him sing. If you haven't already, go to ew.com and check out the latest "Idolatry" with the always funny Kristin Baldwin and Michael Slezak.

On to the countdown, again in reverse order.
* Danny Gokey (LW: 4). I just don't have the heart to put him anywhere in my Top 10. The fact that we have to hear him sing twice this week makes me depressed.

10) Kris Allen (LW: 3) I don't get the appeal of him. He's not a great song arranger, he has no rock credibility, has a very limited vocal range and his charisma and stage presence is almost non-existent. Again that just goes to show this show has very little to do with talent, it's all about how big your voting base is. At least he isn't as smarmy and doesn't applaud himself like Danny Gokey. I don't expect to hear much from him or Gokey within a year from now.

9) Scott MacIntyre, he's really another lightweight vocally. However he has a great sense-of-humor, a never say die attitude and he's an excellent pianist. I don't think he'll have much of a career, but he'd be someone you'd want to hang out with. The only reason a person would want to hang out with Gokey is if he is family or it gave you a chance to tell him to shut up.

8) Anoop Desai: Michael Slezak was suitably impressed with him that he had a five part interview with him on "Idolatry". He usually only has 3 part interviews with the recently evicted contestant. Desai had some fantastic performances this season. Again I don't know if he's going to be a big star, but for him it's not going to matter. He's clearly very smart and will go a long way in whatever he decides to do.

7) Mishavonna Henson: I just wish she would have had more chance to show what she can do. She's a great singer and we could have used more estrogen in this year's "AI", especially in the final five. (I sort of wonder how Joanna Pacitti would have done if she had been allowed to compete.)

6) Felicia Barton: See above.

5) Matt Giraud: I could see him going far in his career, it could go either way with him. He seemingly never got his groove going. He seemingly alternated between great and terrible performances. No more Coldplay or The Fray songs that's for sure. Although he definitely should have out lasted Mr. Vanilla and Gokey.

4) Megan Corkrey: I'm listening to her excellent "Rockin' Robin" now. She's so unique. Again I don't know if she'll ever be a big star. I sort of think she could have an Amy Winehouse like career, but hopefully without the craziness. It's people like her that almost makes me want to go see the "AI" tour. Then I remember I would have to put up with some of the lame contestants as well. Before iTunes stops selling it go and buy Megan Joy's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree". Her version of that song is fantastic.

3) Alexis Grace: She came in 11th place, seriously? She didn't even make the tour and was beaten out by such lightweights as Michael Sarver, Scott MacIntyre, Kris Allen and Danny Gokey. Really? I just can't get over the fact that she didn't go much further in the concert. Once the "AI" tour is over and you have made your record Alexis go on tour with Megan and Allison and I'll come and see you. That would have three times the entertainment value as the actual "AI" tour.

2) Allison Iraheta: Since she no longer is on the show, I couldn't make her number one on my list. I like her more than the three remaining contestants combined. She could be a superstar if she gets with the right producers and song writers. Definitely buy her "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", "I Can't Make You Love Me" and "Someone To Watch Over Me".

1) Adam Lambert: The current EW cover boy and probable winner of Season 8 of "American Idol". Again he's not my favorite contestant, but I have to give him some serious props for his outstanding performance of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love".

Have the rest of a good day, I'm not sure when I'll be back next.

No comments:

Favorites