Monday, May 11, 2009

Random Notes

Hello,

According to the premier "American Idol" website , mjsbigblog.com, here are the three judge's choice songs for the final three contestants. BTW, each contestant will be singing two songs this week. Paula went really obscure and picked Terence Trent D'arby's "Dance Little Sister" for Danny. I've never heard this song but I am familiar with D'arby's music. He had big hits back in the 90's with "Wishing Well" and "Sign Your Name", those two songs were his peak. He's probably unloading boxes for Fed Ex now. Darby's music would much better fit Lambert. If I hadn't watched Paula fawn over Danny Gokey all season, I'd think she was trying to sabotage him. I think he's going to struggle this week, although hopefully just not as much as "Dream On" last week.

Randy, the whitest black man in showbiz, picked One Republic's "Apologize" for Kris Allen. This song was performed on stage on "AI's" finale last year. David Archuleta sang it with the singer of One Republic. This song and Kris Allen both go together. Both are inoffensive, mellow and aren't that exciting. It's not the best song in the world sung by not the best singer in the world. I think Kris will do well with this song, although this song is sort of forgettable so who cares? (BTW David Cook sang with a special guest last season as well. He sang with ZZ Topp. I would say both of last year's song selections were appropriate.)

This week should just be the finale because Adam Lambert is clearly the class of the three remaining contestants. I just think at this point who is going to win is a foregone conclusion. The other two aren't even in Lambert's league. Simon is picking the judge's choice song for him. Of those three judges he's the most musical astute. There seems to be confusion which song Simon picked for Adam. He either picked U2's "One" or Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". Both songs perfectly match Lambert's vocal abilities and I see him doing very well with either song.

Other music news: My son is turning 13 this Friday. (Happy birthday Big Boy!) For his birthday he really wanted to go see Green Day in concert. They are coming to Salt Lake on a Sunday. For religious reasons I told him we can't go. He doesn't like it, but that is the way it is. For the record I have missed many great concerts because they have been on Sundays, including Pearl Jam and the Rolling Stones.

I suggested instead we go the No Doubt/ Paramore concert coming on Memorial Day. I suggested it because he's a big Paramore fan. This will be his first concert and I think he will really like it. I just hope Gwen Stefani is a lot better that night than she was on "AI" last week. Of course he needs someone to take him and I'll be taking him. If you are interested in going to this concert, you certainly should go. Tickets are selling for buy one get one free and there are still pretty good tickets left. Our tickets are about halfway up the lower bowl in about middle of the stadium. I went through with him the whole process of finding where the tickets will be and where the best place to sit at concerts are.

This should be a pretty good concert. No Doubt is a great and really rocking band and Paramore is one of the best up and coming bands. They are coming with a third band that I'm not real familiar with, The Sounds. It should be a rocking night. I have loaded my iPod up with all the Paramore songs I have. I'm certain I'm more excited about going to this concert than my son is. I still remember my first real rock concert. I saw AC/DC on their "For Those About To Rock" tour, the tour where they had cannons shoot. That was a great concert. I still tell people how the first band came on the stage and played about 6 or 7 songs. For some reason I thought that band was AC/DC and the concert was over. I got up to leave and my friend had to tell me that was just the opening act. I bought an AC/DC poster at that concert and had that poster on my bedroom wall for several years.

I don't know if you have seen this yet but this is Wanda Sykes appearing at a White House Correspondents Association Dinner. She's absolutely hilarious and poking fun at people who have earned it. She makes fun of Dick Cheney, the self-righteous Rush Limbaugh and Republican apologist Sean Hannity. This is very funny no matter who you voted for in the last election. themusicaddict is a very strong independent, I don't need someone to tell me who to vote for.



In TV news, hopefully last night was not the series finale for the excellent "Cold Case". Rumors are circulating that it's too expensive to produce and this might be it's last season. I certainly hope not as that is a great show that both my wife and I love. This was the second of a two part series and both parts featured songs from Pearl Jam's "Ten" Deluxe version. It's a commemorative of the classic original CD that came out in 1991. I think all shows should have Pearl Jam as their background music.

Also last night was the season finale of "Celebrity Apprentice", it came down to a battle between not the two nicest people ever. Unlike last year when the arrogant and annoying Piers Morgan won, at least the person that I wanted to win this year won. Joan Rivers defeated Annie Duke. I only watched about 10 minutes of last night's episode. I was busy with so many other things I wanted to do.

I'm listening to Guns N' Roses "Chinese Democracy" in my car. I have close to a hour drive each way to work. I'm going to listen to it a few times. One of my first blogs I wrote about the impending release of that CD and how I couldn't wait. "Chinese Democracy" was released and it received a critical drubbing. I thought it was a lot better than what the critics thought. I haven't listened to it in awhile so I pulled it out to give it a fresh listen. In a few days I'll give a full review.

I'm almost done with Stephen King's "The Cell". It's been a pretty intense novel and I'll give a full review when I finish reading it in the next little while.

I'm not sure when I will be back. Have a great week, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites