Thursday, May 28, 2009

"AI" Season Finale Part 2

Hello,

I'm sorry it has taken so long to get to this part of my review of the "AI" season finale. Right now I'm in the middle of five straight days, being gone from my house for 11 hours each day. Thankfully I have lunches and breaks when I write quick mobile blogs. Tonight I actually went in and expanded some of my mobile blogs. I just get to the point where I really want to expand on a point, but with only 160 characters I can't.

On with the review of results night for the finals: Ryan Seacrest called this show The Final Showdown and also "one of the biggest nights on television". The hype machine known as "American Idol" continues to be as subtle as a sledgehammer. There were just under 100 million votes for the finale. Don't get me wrong I love "Idol" but by the end of the season I'm ready for it to be over, especially with this season's less than exciting three. It was so nice to come home this week and not have to worry about watching "AI" this week. I'll have to open up some time for TV when the excellent "Mad Men" starts up again soon.

Next was a segment of the show where Randy Jackson was ruthlessly mocked for his stupid "for me, for me" phrase. The way that video was cut was pretty funny. That is one of the 7 phrases he now says, that's up from the five phrases he was using last year. Can we just get rid of him? You'd think the producers would watch that film clip and realize how little Jackson adds to the show. Yeah, I know they won't. He'll be around as long as he wants.

The other judge clips mocked Kara in how she breaks bad news to contestants, usually attached to the word "sweetie". Then Ryan said Paula had the biggest vocabulary. One of the biggest ditzes on TV has the "biggest vocabulary"? Those words must come from her word of the day desk calender. Rereading those last two paragraphs I keep on thinking to myself why do they keep those three judges. The producers lack of changes is what is going to drive this show into the ground. I'd be very surprised if this show survives to it's 11th season. It it survives to it's 11th season it would probably be on the WB.

The Top 13 took the stage in matching white outfits singing Pink's "So What". That actually sounded pretty good. I was thinking please let the camera stay on the gorgeous Megan. She is such a fine looking woman and she now has blond hair. I'm anxious to see what kind of careers she, Allison Iraheta and Alexis Grace will have. I'm not really caring about what kind of career Kris Allen has. For Danny Gokey all I'm hoping is that he fades into obscurity as quickly as possible. My opinion recently dropped even lower of him when I found out he's trying to finangle a spot on "Dancing With The Stars". "Stars" apparently now has a pretty loose definition. Since when did coming in third on a reality show make one a "star"?



Last season's winner, David Cook, then took the stage and sung his new song, "Permanent". Now like Carrie Underwood, he's a true star. It's always good to see him back on the "Idol" stage. I'm so happy that he defeated David Archuleta last season. "AI" made that song available on iTunes to raise money in honor of Cook's brother, who recently died.

Ryan then announced the first of three Golden Idol Awards, this one honoring Nick Mitchell aka Norman Gentle. He won the award for outstanding male performance. That led to his performing "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" for the fourth time this season. He has sung that a lot of times, but I still laughed as much as I did the first time he did it. He's such a breath of fresh air and I still think he should be on "AI" every week. He could be a co-host. He's such a breath of fresh air for such a heavily structured show.

Next it was time for this season's jankiest female personality, Lil Rounds. She sang "Cue The Rain" with Queen Latifah. The song was okay. If that is the last time that I ever see Rounds that would be fine with me. She never lived up to all her early season promise. She was one of the biggest disappointments of the season. That led into the next performance when Anoop Desai and Alexis Grace sang "I'm Yours" with Jason Mraz. That was okay, but I'm not sure why that song is so popular. I don't even know if that is one of his 10 best songs.

We then had to see a torture worse that water boarding, Kris Allen's "Idol" journey. I took that as a perfect opportunity for a bathroom break. The part I saw though, I kept on thinking he really won? His "Heartless" performance was fantastic but for me, that was his only highlight of the season. That led into his performance of "Kiss You Now" with Keith Urban. Keith Urban looked like a true star and he overwhelmed Kris Allen so much in star quality. Sometimes when the Idols sing with a much more experienced singer, you remember how much these Idols have to learn.

Part 3 will hopefully be coming this weekend. Also coming up reviews of Green Day's "21st Century Breakdown" and the No Doubt and Paramore concert. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites