Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The "AI" Top Three May 12, 2009

Hello,

I just have time for a quick note. For themusicaddict's mental health, please do not vote for Danny Gokey. I cannot handle his smarmy personality or mediocre talent anymore. I don't know who is more annoying him or David Archuleta. He's not a terrible singer but he's not a fantastic singer either. I'm so sick of the judges overpraising him. I remember the judges talking about Adam Lambert and Kris Allen and their music futures, but I didn't hear them talk much about Danny Gokey's music future. I'm sure that wasn't intentional, but I do think it speaks volumes. I don't think he's going to have much of a music future. We have enough adult contemporary artists and he'd bring nothing to the music scene.

Tonight was suppose to showcase the three finalists for this season of "American Idol". Unfortunately that didn't happen, there was one janky performance after the next janky performance. I was really surprised by who gave the best performance of the night and he really kicked butt. I really missed have a woman competitor though. With only guys remaining, that added another level of boredom to an episode that had too much of that already. It would've been nice to have Allison still there and Gokey go home. Allison rules!

1) Danny Gokey took the stage and started off the show with a terrible song. You can't blame him for the song choice, this is Paula's pick. However you can blame Gokey for that mediocre performance. First of all, Gokey has no right singing Terance Trent D'arby's "Dance Little Sister". (Here I would like to pause and give a shout out to my brother. He was the first one I knew that was into TTD back in the day. Darby's first CD is pretty good.) That song is too funky for him. As usual the judges overpraised him. What am I missing? I just don't get what they see in him. Is it seeing him live that makes his performances so much better? I just don't get it, what I see is one mediocre performance after another every week. (My ears are still recovering from that 8 second screech on "Dream On" The only good thing about that screech is it probably has eradicated the H1N virus.) Ryan talked to him after the performance. Danny uttered probably the biggest cliche in "AI" history. He said he wanted to "come out and have fun". Again how did he make it to the top three? Grade: C-. Buy: No!

2) Kris Allen next sang One Republic's "Apologize". In this one performance Allen combined the night's two themes. Those themes being mediocre performances and janky arrangements. This is the song Randy and Kara picked and it showed. If done right this song could be good. However Allen gave it a terrible arrangement and yet again it was another very mediocre performance. The judges were mixed on his performance. We then didn't see it but Paula and Simon engaged in some judge stupidity. It seems there were three themes of the night, the third theme being stupidity of the judges. Anyway Mr. Vanilla lived up to his nickname on this performance. Grade D+. Buy?: No.

3) After those two mediocre performances I really expected Adam to kick butt. That's especially since he was singing U2's "One". Unfortunately it was the third straight mediocre performance. It was also another bad arrangement. I know the judges want the contestants to show their versatility by arranging songs. However a song this classic is nearly perfect. I don't know if you can give this song an arrangement that would make it better. Lambert certainly didn't it make it better. I could barely recognize the elements in his version that make this song so classic. This was by far the best of the judges picks. Of course, the judges praised it like crazy. The three certainties in life: death, taxes and the judges loving everything Adam Lambert does. Grade: D. Buy: No, it looks like I'll keep my Adam Lambert purchases to one.

A very disappointing first half of "AI" tonight.

I also would like to make one clarification. I mentioned in one of my recent blogs that No Doubt tickets were on sale for half price of what they were originally. Let me rephrase that. What I said is true, however I was meaning the Salt Lake market only. I have no idea about prices in other cities. I also don't know how long that half-price deal is going for. In addition I'm a little nervous that the show may be cancelled if they are that desperate to sell tickets.

Please don't vote for Danny Gokey! themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites