Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The "AI" Top Three May 12, 2009 part 3

Hello,

Thankfully the reign of Gokey is over. Of the three hometown visits, his was the sappiest. Did you see that poor, desperate lady chasing his motorcade? If she caught up with his motorcade what was she hoping to do. That was one of the saddest things I've even seen. Gokey is just a contestant on a reality show. Other than extreme sappiness and a pop song he has nothing to offer you.

I enjoy this show but it also has a lot of flaws. Last night's episode highlighted a lot of those flaws. Extreme pimping of anyone that pays them money, excessive filler, misguided judges, extreme sappiness. Over the next few weeks I'm going to be writing a blog about things "AI" can do to regain it's former glory. Right now the show is going downhill fast, at this point it will be lucky if it has two more years in it.

I ended my last blog talking about Kris Allen's amazing performance of "Heartless" on Tuesday night. He did that song better than the original, in fact he did it a lot better. I've thought about it, I'm going to buy his version of "Heartless". That was the best performance of the night and it led to the second best performance of the night.

Tuesday night's sixth performance was Adam Lambert singing Aerosmith's "Cryin" or as Kara Diaguardia calls it, "early Aerosmith". I cannot conceive of any rational reason she comes back. That was the second best performance of the night on an extremely weak night. All the judges liked it. As for me I thought it was "aight", but nothing more. Grade C+. Buy: no. It was better than his "One", but it's still not worthy of my hard earned money.

Last night was the results show and there were a lot more lowlights than highlights. First, we had pimping for "Night At The Museum 2", a movie I have no desire to see. Is it just my imagination or is Jonah Hill looking freakishly weird? They still have stylists in Hollywood don't they?

Ryan Seacrest then said something like, "if you think you know what is going to happen, you are wrong". Over 88 million people voted and there's only 1 million votes seperating the top two. I'm guessing Adam Lambert had about 33 million votes, Kris Allen had about 32 million votes and Gokey got the rest. Next was the lame Ford video. That would be one of the things "AI" could do to improve the show, get rid of that shameless pimping. I know they would lose money. The positive side the contestants would have more time to rest and then their performances would be better. They could fill that time with longer performances from those contestants. It was time for one of the few highlights of the night, the gorgeous Alicia Keys took the stage. Wow, what a babe!

>
Keys introduced Noah from Rwanda and talked about how Noah learned to sing that song in English in one week. I was impressed by that until I realized the song has only three lines. Apparently "AI" has decided at this late point to try and do some "Idol Gives Back". Noah's story was inspiring but his performance was boring. I'm not quite sure what the point of that was. Then Ryan talked about more dates that have been added to the "AI" tour. Good I was getting worried that the "AI" franchise was running out of money. They do need to find enough money to keep Simon around. As Oprah said they are going to offer him "stupid money" to stay additional seasons.

Then it was time for the pukefest known as Danny Gokey's hometown visit. Seriously that was extremely painful. People were crying, the aforementioned lady chasing his motorcade and "my boy Jamarr". I'm so glad Jamarr didn't make the Top 36, one preacher was enough for me. Gokey's whole hometown visit was manipulative, insincere and did you see his fake crying. He also talked about his journey from "tragedy to triumph". Although that was stomach churning, I've made a vow I'm not going to blog about him anymore. This will now be a relatively Gokey free blog. I've probably been too harsh on him and his 15 minutes is about up. I'm nauseous that he used his wife's death to propel himself to "AI" success. That heart shape he makes with his fingers is exploitative. I'm sad that he lost his wife. As I've mentioned in the past, my brother-in-law lost his wife in a very similar situation. What did my brother-in-law do? Although he was grieving he handled the situation with complete class. The funeral was all about her life and the impact she had on other people. Danny that's a suggestion for you going forward. Honor her memory don't use it to propel yourself.

Kris Allen's hometown visit was nearly as bad. It was unbelievably sad, sappy and unbearable. I did find it funny though that the ceremony where Kris Allen was welcomed home took place in Simon Park.

Next Jordin Sparks took the stage and sang her rockin' new tune, "Battlefield". Although I can do without seeing that guy from One Republic ever again. Then it was time for the least sappy hometown visit of the night, Adam Lambert. His had a sappy quotient as well, at least it was broken up by a streaker. Sorry honey he doesn't like girls. Lambert handled that with class though. I'm not sure why but there is just something about him that bothers me. I can't put my finger on it. He's a good singer, and he seems to a genuinely nice guy but there's something about him that bothers me. No it's not because of the rumors that he's gay, I could care less. Of course he doesn't need my endorsement, he's going to be a huge superstar.

Katy Perry next took the stage, her choice for "Idol" clearly located on the back of her cape: "Adam Lambert". She should've left that cape on as that outfit didn't flatter her figure. Wonder Woman called, she wants her outfit back. You need to have a perfect body to look good in that outfit Katy. Although I did like her rocking song "Waking Up In Vegas". At least two of the guest performances were good tonight. Her performance was very interesting to say the least. That song is on her excellent debut CD, "One of The Guys".

Finally it's time to find out who is going to be in the finale. A mild shocker that Danny isn't, but no surprise at all that Adam is. I predict he wins by more votes than David Cook did last season. For the record Cook won by more than 8 million votes. Although once Allison was eliminated I stopped caring who won, as long as it wasn't Gokey.

A couple of other notes. When I get home from work tomorrow I'm taking my oldest boy to get the new Green Day CD. He's a big Green Day fan and that CD is coming out on his birthday. He's been looking forward to their new CD with high expectations for several months now. There will be a review coming forth soon on that CD. All I've heard so far are glowing reviews about "21st Century Breakdown".

Other news Jeff Ament, the excellent Pearl Jam guitarist, was held up in a violent robbery in Atlanta a couple of nights ago. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family and the entire Pearl Jam family. Pearl Jam is in Atlanta working on their 9th CD. That is the most recent update I've found.

I'm not sure when I'll be back. Have a great weekend, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites