Friday, October 23, 2009

Great books and upcoming games.

Hello,

The LA Angels defeated New York last night 7-6 forcing a Game 6 back in New York on Saturday. That game will be played at 7:57 EST. It's good to see at least one LA team has a pulse.

Saturday is going to be another great day to watch football. The highlight for me is the #16 BYU vs. #8 TCU game in Provo, Utah. The fine folks from ESPN's College Gameday will be there. Go Cougs! That game kicks off at 7:30pm. themusicaddict will be cheering on the Cougs. This is a humongous game for both teams. Other good games include # 7 USC welcoming Oregon State. #18 Utah welcomes 4-3 Air Force and their very tough option attack. Utah should win that game but Air Force is going to give all it has. Oklahoma is going to go into Kansas and try to win in an attempt to salvage their season. Sam Bradford announced the other day he's opting for season ending surgery. This is the reason why people who can play in the NFL usually leave college before their eligibility runs out.

I'm almost done with "Say You're One of Them", it's a very good book. I'll finish it tonight. I'm now reading the fourth story "Luxurious Hearses", a very brutal story. You'll understand what I mean when you read the story, especially when one understands what the titles refers to. The stupid things people do in the name of their religion. Uwem Akpan writes very eloquently. I'm very impressed by this two sentence segment in "Luxurious Hearses". It paints a mental image that's very stunning. This is from page 239, "Madness whipped up by the red dust of Khamfi. Many neighborhoods burned, littering the heavens with funnels of smoke." That's just amazing imagery.

When I finish that book tonight I'm going to pick the next book I'm going to read. I have three choices I'm pondering. 1) Sena Jeter Naslund's "Four Spirits" 2) "Carry Me Home: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Movement" by Diane McWhorter or I can completely give into the pop culture and read 3) "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Who knows maybe another book will catch my eye. I just wish I had more time to read.

I should be back tomorrow. I have the day off from work but I have many things to do. I'm going to the gym in the morning, celebrating my youngest son's birthday and then about 5:30 my time there are three games I'll be flipping between. Go Cougs! Go Trojans! Go Angels! I'm not really a big Angels fan but Salt Lake's AAA team is a minor league affiliate of the Angels.

Have a good day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites