Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Great 60's music

Hello,

Welcome to the 350th themusicaddict blog. I'm glad that you could make it.

Shakira is the new Rolling Stone cover girl. Do whatever you can to avoid seeing the cover of Adam Lambert's CD, "For Your Entertainment". It's a very ugly picture. Please go away Adam.

I've read the first 35% of Sena Jeter Naslund's "Four Spirits". It's a very good book and I'm ready enjoying it. Both where I am in the book and where "Mad Men" season 3 currently is shares the same time frame. Both are set in the fall/winter of 1963. For instance JFK was just killed in "Four Spirits". I have a feeling the "Mad Men" Season 3 finale will revolve around the assassination of JFK.

Naslund is writing about these characters and is starting to make connections between all these people. The connections intensify as I go further in the book, I wonder if she's setting all these characters to meet in the end of the book.

Tonight is Game 1 of the World Series. At this point I don't really care who wins. I think that the Yankees are going to win in 5 or 6 games. However Phillies player Jimmy Rollins predicts Philadelphia will win in 5 games.

The NBA kicked off it's season last night, the defending world champs the Lakers, dispatched crosstown rival. They are allegedly a rival, they've rarely challenged the Lakers. The Lakers have won the last 9 games played between the two teams. Boston went into Cleveland and beat LeBron James and his new sidekick Shaquille O'Neal. O'Neal is on the downside of what should have been a much better career. The fact that he didn't work on his free throws enough should be an embarrassment. How many more games could have his teams won if he was a 80% free throw shooter rather than a 50% free throw shooter. There never would've been the strategy created called Hack-A-Shaq.

Speaking of NBA players on the downhill of their careers, the player formerly known as the Answer. If he's the Answer, I guess the question is who would be desperate to have him on their team? He's now playing for the Memphis Grizzlies, which tells you something about that team. He may not even play in tonight's first game. Maybe they should just change their name to Grizzly, because that's how they are going to play with him as their point guard.

Meanwhile the local team in SLC is obviously the Utah Jazz. The Jazz are going to be paying the luxury tax for the first time in their history. It's not even worth it even. The Jazz have 12 million invested in a disgruntled Carlos Boozer, who will probably be "injured" half the year. The Jazz are also overpaying Andrei Kirilenko and paying Matt Harpring about 6 million dollars and he might not even play. I expect the Jazz to have the same kind of season as they had last year. They will win 45-50 games and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Thanks to the magic of DVR, my wife and I were able to watch the most recent episode of the always good "Cold Case". It centered around the beginning of the the Philadelphia sound. Is it my imagination or is she getting better looking as she gets older.


(thanks to kathrynmorrisonline.blogspot.com

They played some of those songs during the show last night. Those are some truly great songs. Thanks to my friends at Pandora, I'm now listening to a selection of 60's and 70's songs. There are so many great songs from that era, here's a list of some of the best. This is in no particular order.

"Ain't Never Loved A Man", "Chain of Fools", "Respect"- Aretha Franklin

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"- Otis Redding,

"Three Times A Lady", "Easy", "Brick House"- The Commodores,

"Theme From Shaft"- Isaac Hayes, (Speaking of funk and Prince yesterday. This song is funk squared.)

"This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak For You)"- The Isley Brothers

"She's Gone"- Hall and Oates

"Oh Girl"- The Chi-Lites

"Never Can Say Goodbye" and "I Want You Back"- The Jackson Five,

"I Can't Get Enough of Your Love Babe"- Barry White (It starts slow and builds tempo throughout the song. This is a good song to woo a lady.),

"Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off This Sucker)- Parliament

"Crusin'" and "Second That Emotion"- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles,

"For Once In My Life" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"- Stevie Wonder (a certified 100% musical genius)

"Mercy, Mercy Me", "What's Going On", "Sexual Healing" and "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"- Marvin Gaye

"My Guy"- Mary Wells

"Use Ta Be My Girl" and "Love Train"- The O'Jays

"You Can't Hurry Love"- The Supremes

"Reach Out I'll Be There"- The Four Tops

"Get Ready"- The Temptations

"Working My Way Back To You/ Forgive Me Girl" and "I'll Be Around" - The Spinners

"Lady Marmalade"- Labelle

"When A Man Loves A Woman"- Percy Sledge

"Thank You (Falettime Be Myself)"- Sly Stone and and the Family Stone

"Do You Love Me"- The Contours

"I Feel Good" and "Cold Sweat" (Part 2)- James Brown

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites