Friday, October 30, 2009

Hello,

To paraphrase Edwin Starr:

"Dog catchers (not animal control, that's a misnomer) what are they good for?
Absolutely nothing
Say again
Dog catchers, what are they good for?
Absolutely nothing."

Dog catchers are even more in love with their non-existant power than campus cops. Both are pale imitations of the real thing. Do we really need dog catchers? I hope they don't get paid very much, whatever they are paid they are overpaid.

I'm very anxious to read Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol", but I took it back to the library as I knew I would not be getting to it soon. I've been going through a Sixties kick lately. That was all kicked off by "Mad Men" from a few weeks ago. In two scenes you heard Martin Luther King speaking. One he was giving his "I Have A Dream" speech that was on August 28th, 1963. We then heard comments from him about the four little girls killed at church in Birmingham September 15th of the same year. Then two months and a week later JFK was assassinated.

So I have been reading books about the error. I'm in the middle of "Four Spirits" by Sena Jeter Naslund. She wrote a fictional account centered around the death of these four little girls. Naslund was born and raised in Birmingham, Alabama. I also have read a bit in "A Thousand Days" by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. This is a book about the Kennedy Presidency, one of the most historic Presidences ever. Many judge him as one of our greatest Presidencies. I'm going to withhold judgement about him until I do some more study. (I do see a lot of similarites between him and Barack Obama.) I also have read several pages in "The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage" by Todd Gitlin. That's a perfect title for that decade. I also have been researching this decade on the internet about the 60's.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites