Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The 4th all-time artist is... delayed again.

Hello fellow citizens of the world,

One thing I feared about making my Top 50 all-time artist list is that I knew I might miss someone. Sure enough I did. Not only did I miss someone but I missed one of my Top Ten all-time favorite artists, R.E.M. So I am delaying who my 4th all-time favorite artist is yet again to spotlight R.E.M. Like other bands who are/ would be in my Top Ten, I am going to highlight some of their more obscure but good songs. 1) "Horse To Water" off their excellent new CD, "Accelerate". 2) "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" 3) "Welcome To The Occupation" 4) "Exhuming McCarthy" 5) "Lightnin' Hopkins 6) "Star 69" 7) "Driver 8" 8) "Get Up" 9) "Man Sized Wreath", which is also off their excellent new CD. 10) "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" 11) "Tongue" 12) "Bang and Blame" 13) "Radio Free Europe" and 12) "Talk About The Passion".

Definitely tomorrow will be the unveiling of my #4 all-time favorite artist. I will give you a hint it is not Miley Cyrus. I mentioned on Sunday about a radio format called Jackfm. Locally in Salt Lake, they are located at 103.1. What their format is they play "anything they want". Now obviously that's not true with so much corporate research, focus groups et al going on. However they do have a wide selection of genres. Where else can you hear Charlie Daniel's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia", The S.O.S.'s Band's "Take Your Time" (Do It Right), or Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning" all on one station? It's a pretty eclectic mix and there are not a lot of commerical breaks. Also there is very little DJ chatter, which even isn't bad when they have their morning program. I am not sure about this but they seem to play 12 hours of music and then repeat that the second half of the day. So that and the local alternative radio station, X96, are the two stations I listen to on the radio about 90% of the time. Thankfully I only have to listen to the radio driving to work. Nobody plays a better mix of music than on themusicaddict's iTunes library.

Also the big news (to me at least) is that a new song from Guns n' Roses is going to be featured on the video game "Rock Band 2". The song is called "Shackler's Revenge". I haven't heard whether this is going to be on "Chinese Democracy" or is just a one-off. Now this being Guns n' Roses, this still may not happen. Cross your fingers. Other news, Bruce Springsteen has a live CD out now. It just came out yesterday, it is titled "'Magic' Tour Highlights". You can get the MP3 versions of 4 audio tracks and 4 videos. Now for both they are the same four songs. However he does some cool things on these live tracks. For one he performs "The Ghost of Tom Joad" with Tom Morello, best known for his work with Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave. Also he sings "Turn, Turn, Turn" with Roger McGuinn, who was the original singer of that song with his band The Byrds. So check that out. One more thing the new AC/DC CD will probably be out on October 28th. Then the rumors have them going on a worldwide farewell tour before breaking up completely. Although now days, just because you have a farewell tour does not mean that you can't tour again.

Like I said I will be back tomorrow with my #4 all-time favorite artist and maybe even a review of their new CD. Also tomorrow I have some news about a possible Rolling Stone format change. Have a good day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites