Thursday, July 17, 2008

The 4th all-time artist is... finally here.

Hello,

My fourth all-time favorite artist will finally be announced today. Before I get to that though here is a hot upcoming band, CSS. (If you are reading this many years in the future, don't be too cynical if these guys don't make it. I am only writing about bands and songs that move me. For instance if Wolfmother fades away, no one can deny to me that their first CD is not nearly perfect.) Today's band that moves me is the Brazillian band, CSS. No word on whether CSS's lead singer is as hot as Megan Fox. Although CSS is short for Cansei de Ser Sexy. That's Portugese for "Tired of Being Sexy". (Thanks to last.fm for the info. You can learn who originally said that by going to last.fm) It's hard to label their music, which I don't like doing anyway. If I had to name a genre for their music, I would call it Electronica/Dance. However there is a real rocking vibe to it and the female vocalist is awesome. This crazy vibe is really evident in their song called "Rat Is Dead (Rage)". Other great songs are "Alala" and "Let's Make Love And Listen To Death Above".

In my last blog I mentioned how Rolling Stone is currently thinking about a new format of their magazine. It would be smaller. (For the record my three favorite magazines are Rolling Stone, Sports Illustrated and Esquire magazine.) Since I am a long time subscriber, they asked me if I would be interested to taking a survey on the new format. I received my test issue this past Monday. It looks different and is smaller. Honestly though what I wrote to Rolling Stone in the survey I took is that I care more about the content and not so much about the design of the magazine. The size change would be a big difference though. Both Rolling Stone and I are 41, it is hard for old farts like us to change and to be successful at that change. It will be interesting to see what happens. No matter what the format ends up being, I will continue to read it as long as it's information remains excellent.

Head over to rcrdlbl.com to see an old video of Yaz's "Don't Go". You have to scroll down a bit. Why are they playing this you may wonder. It's because Yaz is touring for the first time in 25 years. Someone from the website caught them in concert. Yaz is made up of singer Alison Moyet and Vince Clarke. Allison Moyet went on to have a couple of solo hits and Clarke went on to form the excellent Depeche Mode. Although he eventually left that band as well. For more information about the Yaz tour, there is a big article in the July Blender. You can also read it at their website blender.com. Also rcrdlbl.com is one of the websites I go to everyday. Other favorite websites: rs.com, download.com, ew.com and espn.go.com.

Finally my #4 band of all-time is those bad boys of LA rock and roll: Motley Crue. What a great band. One of the best concerts I have ever saw was Motley Crue on the "Theatre of Pain" tour. They kicked butt, which is pretty amazing as at that time Nikki Sixx was battling a horrific heroin habit. Again their new CD "Saints of Los Angeles" is fantastic. I will be having a full review pretty soon. One thing about Motley Crue is that they are hit and miss. On a typical CD they have some good songs but some really lame songs as well. Anyway here are some of their obscure but great songs. 1) "Rattlesnake Shake" 2) "Time For Change" 3) "Live Wire" 4) "Public Enemy #1" 5) "Too Fast For Love" 6) "All In The Name of..." 7) "Primal Scream" 8) "Anarachy In The U.K." Yes that is the Sex Pistol's cover. 8) "Hooligan's Holiday" 9) "Bittersuite", this is an instrumental. 10) "If I Die Tomorrow" 11) "Tonight (We Need A Lover)" 12) "Fight For Your Rights" 13&14) Two of the better songs from their new CD. They are "This Ain't A Love Song" (Very explicit) and "Goin Out Swingin'". One final note: Although they have many excellent songs one of my favorite songs of their's is "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)".

Finally here are some more songs rocking my iPod. 1) "Cosmopolitan"- Nine Black Alps 2) "Every Now and Then"- Garth Brooks 3) "I Can't Quit You Baby"- Led Zeppelin 4) "She's So Selfish"- The Knack. This is from the CD "Get The Knack". Again one of the best debut CD's of all-time. You really need to add this to your collection. 5)
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live)", all 13 minutes of it. 6) "Let's Be Friends (Skin To Skin)- Bruce Springsteen This is from his excellent "The Rising" CD. 7) "This Ain't The Summer of Love"- L7.

My next blogs should be Friday and then Sunday. I am busy on Friday but I will try to squeeze in a quick blog tomorrow. No blog on Saturday as I work all day. But in my next blog I will be revealing my #3 all-time favorite artist. Another great 80's LA rock band, whose CD I am really hoping comes out this fall. If you have read my blog, you should know who I am talking about. Have a great weekend, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites