Sunday, July 13, 2008

The 4th all-time artist is... delayed.

Hello,

A couple of pieces of business first. On Friday I wrote about the music site rcrdlbl.com and stated that is was run my major labels in order to get a piece of online music money. I was completely wrong with that. I am just going to give you what it says on their site: "RCRD LBL is a network of ad supported online record labels and blogs offering completely free music and multimedia content from emerging and established artists." I also looked at this site a little closer and it is better than I first said. Currently they have a free MP3 nearly everyday, they also have a weekly Top Ten plus videos and all sorts of links to other interesting websites. Check it out at your conveinance. I apologize about that and any confusion I may have caused. The second piece of news is I was going to reveal today's 4th all-time favorite artist. I usually like to listen to that artist while writing the blog, but the #4 artist is not appropriate to listen to on Sundays. So I will announce that on my next blog.

Artist of the day: Taylor Swift. In Rolling Stone's May 1, 2008 issue she is named Country Music Lolita and 1 one of the 175 things to love about music in 2008. I don't agree with the Lolita label, but she definitely is a breath of fresh air in music today. Her self-titled CD is pretty darn good. It features the song "Teardrops On My Guitar" that was overplayed this last winter. It is a great song though and one of many good songs on this CD. The four best songs are "Teardrops", "Picture To Burn", "Our Song" and "Should've Said No". She is still probably 2 or 3 great CD's away from being in my top 50 all-time artists. However if all her future music is this good, she will be on that list. Also if you are dating her, be nice or she may write a nasty song about you.

Song of the Day: Green Day's "When I Come Around". Definitely check out the live version on the Woodstock 1999 CD. Speaking of Green Day, I read an interview with them and they said to consider the Foxboro Hot Tobs CD "Stop Drop And Roll!!" as their follow up to "American Idiot". Although in that same article it said that an official "Green Day" CD was suppose to drop this year as well.

Some quick notes and songs rocking my iPod. One of amazon.com $5 MP3's from this past Friday (which expires tomorrow)is Pavement's "Slanted and Enchanted". I had heard a lot of good things about this CD so I listened to the whole thing at lala.com. It is good but not great. I am sort of torn whether I would reccomend that you buy it, but I did not buy it. Also again reading in Rolling Stone I read about a band called Pylon. According to the article they were sort of a precursor to R.E.M., who is a band I love, so I checked them out. They are pretty good as well although I don't know if they are quite at the level to pay hard earned money for. I had the misfortune of watching the Tommy Lee Jones movie "Volcano". This movie was so cheesy that it should have been made in the 80's. Skip this movie and do something productive for two hours instead.

Songs rocking my iPod. (Warning some of these songs are not as hot as Miss Universe 2008.) 1) "Just Like Heaven"- The Cure 2) "We're Alright"- Supafuzz 3) "Hot Dog"- The Detroit Cobras 4) "Straight On"- Heart 5) "Crushcrushcrush"- Paramore One of the best songs on one of the best CD's of the years. 6) "I'm Alive"- David Cook This Neil Diamond cover is rocking. 7) "Love, Reign O'er Me"- Pearl Jam 8) "Talk Dirty To Me"- Poison 9) "Beat Goes On"- Madonna 10) "Animal In Me"- Motley Crue 11) "Bright Future In Sales"- Fountains of Wayne

Finally here is a comprehensive list of where and when you can get free music. I am going to list them according to my preference. #6) last.fm This is both an internet radio station and a place you can get free MP3's. They don't have a certain time you can get music instead you can get it anytime. This is the website where I discovered the great band Acid House Kings. #5)rcrdlbl.com They typically have a free MP3 of the day. I only discovered this website a few days ago, so I don't have an opinion of the music they offer. 4) goombah.com This is the website where 15 free songs are highlighted every Friday. You can get free MP3's there anytime, they just highlight 15 new ones each Friday.

3) download.com They have a free MP3 of the day everyday. Like goombah.com you download these MP3's anytime you want they just highlight a different band everyday. Bands I have discovered or new music by established bands include The Black Keys, B 52's, Black Mountain, Tilly & The Wall, Band of Horses, Romantica, The National, Mudhoney, Band of Horses and Amy Ray of Indigo Girl fame. My favorite song I have discovered on this webstie is "Hang On Girl"- Favourite Sons. It is currently rocking my iPod. You definitely need to get that song, it is free. 2) iTunes: Typically you can only get 3 new songs every Tuesday from them, but a lot of time they are better than the previously mentioned websites. 1) amazon.com Again you can only get free music from them every Tuesday. However they give away entire CD's sometimes. They also are always running promotions trying to sell more music and cut into iTunes big lead.

I am working a lot of hours this week at my job. So my posting will be hit and miss this week. My next blog will probably be posted on Wednesday. Also on my next blog I will be announing my #4 all-time favorite band. In addition I will be telling you about an exciting new radio station called Jack FM. Good day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites