Sunday, July 6, 2008

The 8th all-time artist is...

Hello,

Here's the review for "Wall-E", unfortunately I didn't get to go see it yesterday. However my wife and my 4 year old did. My wife wasn't too impressed, but our 4 year old loved it. Meanwhile my other two sons went and saw "Hancock". Although the reviews for this movie have been terrible, my 12 and 10 year old son liked it. My 12 year old son really liked it.

Speaking of my 12 year old son, I have noticed an interesting phoenomenen. He has said several times something to the effect about a song on iTunes, "I heard this song on Guitar Hero". He has discovered a lot of excellent rock music this way. The song he has been singing lately is "Tom Sawyer" and that's where he discovered that. There has got to be a name for this. My suggestion is Guitar Heroization. (If you have a better name, please pass it on. Of course there may already be a term for this.) I would rather my son be familiar with older rock and roll songs that rap music.

Also here are some quick reviews for some of the movies that I have seen on Comcast On Demand lately. "The TV Set" starring David Duchovny and Sigourney Weaver. A very biting satire of the televison industry. With the way television networks operate, sometimes great material is forced to become crap to meet lame corporate guidelines. "Gone in 60 Seconds" starring Nicholas Cage and Angelina Jolie. I did not think I would like it but I actually liked it quite a bit. Last night I watched "Wild Hogs" starring Tim Allen and John Travolta. I did not expect a lot from this movie and I got what I expected. Although I will give a shout out to William Macy, his "Wild Hogs" character had an Apple Inc. logo tattoo on his arm. In the movie he's a computer programmer. That may have been the best part of the movie. Although the Extreme Home Makeover sequence at the end of the movie was pretty funny as well. Of these three movies "Gone in 60 Seconds" is the best but none of them are crucial to see. These are the kind of movies you watch when you have nothing better to do and you stumble across it on TV.

Also I have my first 5 star song from the music I downloaded recently. The song is "One of Those Nights" by a band called the Cab. (Not to be confused with Death Cab for Cutie.) I downloaded that song free from download.com. They highlight a free MP3 of the day. They do that every day, 365 days a year. Usually 3 or 4 times a week they pick songs that are worth adding to your music library.

Here are the "of the day" choices. Song of the Day, "I Alone" the mid 90's classic by Live. CD of the Day: "Come On Feel The Illinoise" by Surfjan Stevens. This is a great, great CD. It's one of those great CD's that received no radio play. So to get a lot of people to know about it it has to rely on word of mouth. I am doing my due diligence. Band of the Day: Panic At The Disco. Their first CD, "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" is fantastic. However their most recent CD, "Pretty. Odd." is not so good.

Last but not least, my 8th all-time artist is Bob Marley and the Wailers. Currently I am listening to their music and I remember why he is my 8th favorite artist. Reggae is not the most well known music. Most reggae I can live without but I love Bob Marley. I am going to list off 10 of my favorite songs of his. This is in no particular order, all following 10 songs are 5 star rated songs on my iTunes. 1) "Africa Unite", 2) "I Shot The Sheriff", 3) "Punky Reggae Party", 4) "Iron Lion Zion" That is probably my favorite Bob Marley song. 5) "Jammin'" 6) "Is This Love" 7) "Redemption Song" 8) "Buffalo Soldier" 9)"Get Up, Stand Up" and 10) "Rebel Music (3 O'Clock Roadblock)" Out of the 45 Bob Marley and the Wailers songs I have on my iTunes, I rate 40 of them at 4 or 5 stars. If you are one of those people who have put off listening to their music because you didn't think you would like it you really need to check them out.

I am not sure when my next post will be. After hardly working last week, I will be working a lot more hours this week. Thank Goodness! Have a good week, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites