Friday, November 13, 2009

Books I'm reading

Hello,

I don't have much time today, just a quick blog. Thanks again to all veterans for all you have done for our country. May your victories be many and your losses few.

The main book I'm reading now is Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's "The Strain". It's the first book in what is scheduled to be a trilogy. I've read about the first 65 pages so far. It is very good and extremely intense. Yes this is yet another vampire novel, but it's a good addition to that genre. If Del Toro's name sounds familiar to you, he's the creator of "Pan's Labryinth".

I also started reading a couple of books just to get a sense of them and whether they would be books I like. Those books are Dean Koontz's "The Good Guy". I just got a small taste of this book so far, but I really liked the taste. I also read the first few pages in John Irving's, one of America's greatest writers, "Trying to Save Piggy Sneed". This book has some short stories, memoirs and appreciations of the authors Charles Dickens and Gunter Grass. I was attracted to read this book because of Irving's memoir "The Imaginary Girlfriend".

I also am reading Arthur Schlesinger's "One Thousand Days", an insiders view of the Kennedy White House. That's one of the most historic Presidencies in US history. Kennedy himself is a veteran and a World War 2 hero.

I also recently finished reading Sena Jeter Naslund's "Four Spirits". She was living in Birmingham during some of their turbulent Civil Rights history. This is an account of that in a historical fiction novel, centered around 4 little girls who were slaughtered at the 16th Street Baptist church. I thought it was a good book overall. My only qualm is I wish Naslund would've put a lot more details of the Civil Rights movement in the book.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites