Monday, November 30, 2009

Hello,

I've been reading two books recently following my thrilling reading of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". The first book is Max Brooks "World War Z". I really like that book so far. It's obviously a piece of fiction about how zombies come alive and bring an assault on the world. They are eventually stopped but not before they leave behind a long trail of destruction. This novel is written in an oral history format, which usually isn't a style of writing I enjoy. After 22 pages into the book that style of writing is working for me in this case.

The other book I'm reading is John Irving's "The Cider House Rules". Unfortunately I'm struggling with this book. I didn't like the movie, having Tobey Maguire in it doesn't help. Maguire has to be one of the wimpiest actors currently going, other than playing the nerd or geek there is no role he's convincing in. The "Cider House" story was just not interesting. However operating on the theory that almost always the book is better than the movie I decided to give it a shot. Also John Irving is one of my favorite authors. I have read the first 45 pages and I'm just not getting into it. I'll give it a bit longer. But so far I'm very disappointed by this book.

Last night my wife and I watched "Four Christmases" which stars Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon. (Previous to a couple of days ago I never thought of Reese Witherspoon as a babe. After seeing her in "I Walk The Line" and this movie I have changed my opinion.) I didn't expect to enjoy this movie much, but I actually liked it. I certainly understand wanting to skip some family activities on Christmas Day though.

Jerry Jones told his Dallas Cowboys, after improving to 8-3, not to get over confident. Jerry have you watched this team play? They have run into some really mediocre team to get to that impressive 8-3 record. I think the next 3 games will tell us a lot about this team. They play in order the 6-5 and playing for their playoff lives New York Giants, the high scoring 8-3 San Diego Chargers and the still undefeated New Orleans Saints. The Saints are 10-0 now and play tonight against the New England Patriots. If they emerge from those 3 games with a 9-5 record I'd be very happy. Of course if they win a playoff game finally I would also be very happy. However if the Cowboys don't win a playoff game, Jerry you must fire underachieving coach Wade Phillips. I hear Mike Shanahan is out of work.

Thanks to Oprah Winfrey making a couple of Christmas MP3's free, especially Sugarland's "Silent Night". That is such a beautiful song and Jennifer Nettles voice is so amazing. One of my all-time favorite country bands, Sugarland, appears on Oprah today.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites