Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's Day

Hello,

It's Veteran's Day and all of us owe a big debt of gratitude to all those who have fought and died for this country. I'm not trying to be maudlin with the following clip. I also know a regular civilian like me can never appreciate being in a combat situation. The following is about the closest we can get. It's hard to appreciate what it would be like to be under the threat of being killed at any moment. The D-Day and Iwo Jima invasions are probably the two most bloody World War 2 encounters for the USA in actual combat.



The following story is an indication of the losses that can occur even when our military is not in a war situation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/us/31crash.html

Thank you Marines (Semper Fi!), Navy, Army, Coast Guard and National Guard. Thanks to all those who have fought for the US and us. Thanks to those who fought in the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, World War 1, World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq Afghanistan and all the other wars, battles and clashes America has fought in.

There's other news of course. Aerosmith is not breaking up! Did anyone know that they were still together. A band that has many great songs, but very few are going to be heartbroken when they break up. I saw them in concert back in the day and they were not that good. Aerosmith and Bon Jovi were two of the most disappointing concerts I have seen.

Billboard has finally come to their senses about CD's that should be considered for their Top 200 CD list. Before this soon to be policy change if a CD was older than 18 months, it could not be on the Top 200 list. No matter its sales. The absurdity of this was really highlighted when Michael Jackson died. He had the best selling CD for 6 weeks, yet never reached #1 on the Billboard Top 200. It never reached the #1 spot on the Top 200 due to how old it was. I always thought that was a dumb qualification. The only criteria that should be considered when the top selling CDs are tracked is which CD sells the most. That seems pretty logical to me and why have any other rules than that?

I watched the second part of "V" last night. I was very disappointed. I did not see the first one, however I heard that episode was very good. It was hard to tell by last night's episode. The sound is terrible, many times it was difficult to understand what the actors were saying. Not that they were saying anything very interesting most of the time. I'm not really buying Elizabeth Mitchell as an FBI agent. I'm also not buying Logan Hoffman as a rebel, he looks more like a puppy dog. It's hard to believe the hot alien babe would be attracted to him. He looks like the kid who would play a stoner in a movie. What is with that ugly haircut as well? Besides those two unbelievable main characters the story was kind of slow and yawn inducing.

I don't understand ABC's strategy with this show. They are going to show four episodes and if it has enough viewers there will be nine more episodes starting next March. That makes no sense. It would give the writers time to punch up the story and find more believable characters. I'm going to watch the next two episodes and then I will go from there.

With "Mad Men" off the air until approximately next August, I'm looking for another show to enjoy. "Cold Case" and "Medium" are usually pretty good shows, but I'm looking for something to add a little zing to my TV watching.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites