Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Greatness of "Mad Men"

Hello,

Is there any better show on television now than "Mad Men"? No! Sunday night's episode was devastating both for the United States and Don Draper. The footage of Walter Cronkite fighting back the tears is one of the most genuinely touching moments of TV history.



This was the central event of this past Sunday's "Mad Men". The assassination of JFK casts a dim light on this entire episode. I like how the show works the death into the storyline. It does it very deftly without being exploitive. I only have a couple of events in my life that are even close. I remember when Ronald Reagan was shot. I was at South Davis Jr. High and I think we were sent home early. Two big differences: Reagan survived that and I don't think he was nearly as beloved as JFK.



Look how chaotic that is and how bodies just lay on the sidewalk as they wait for the ambulance. Ronald Reagan was the target of this assassination, but he wasn't the only victim. "Reagan, White House Press Secretary James Brady, and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy were also wounded in the crossfire. Delahanty was shot in the neck by one of John Hinckley, Jr.'s six bullets,[and he fell to the ground next to Brady (who had been seriously wounded in the head)." (Thanks to the Thomas Delahanty wikipedia.org webpage.)

The other memorable traumatic event is obviously 9/11. I remember almost nearly every detail of that day. How my mother-in-law called our house, how I dropped my oldest kid off at preschool and how everyone was in a state of disbelief at work. It was very similar to a dream state. Then how I got to B&N right before they closed early. How I went and saw Lonestar that night in concert with my Mom. I called the venue at least three times in surprise that the concert was still going to happen.) I wonder is Matthew Weiner is trying to say what would happen if President Obama was assassinated.

Next week is the Season 3 finale and then we'll be left hanging for about 8.5 months until Season 4. I'm hoping Betty stays with Don. I know he hasn't been very good for her in fidelity, but I still think there's hope for them. I'm hoping Sal is welcomed back to Sterling Cooper. Will Joan come back! Please, her character has really grown on me over the last three seasons. There were hints that he may be making a reappearance. Who are the possible suitors for Sterling Cooper? Does Bert and Roger have enough money to buyback their namesake firm? Can we get rid of Duck and Pete and their loathsome personalities. (Yes, I already know the answer to that question.) Speaking of loathsome, what the hell is Peggy doing with Duck in the first place. That's the most unbelievable hookup in "Mad Men".

If you are not currently watching this show, why not? This season has been so incredibly strong. With JFK's death not saved until the season finale, how explosive is the season finale going to be?

On a much lighter note here's some funny video of Pearl Jam in Philadelphia.

Thanks youtube.com, I love your website :))

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites