Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving,

A good day to you all. Thanksgiving is a day known for food, family and football. Of the football there are some intriguing games today. Texas and their Heisman candidate Colt McCoy goes into Texas A&M tonight. I'm pulling for and hoping for a miracle by the Aggies. I'd love for TCU to sneak into the BCS Title game and expose the absurdity of the BCS. (It would be too much to hope for both BSU and TCU to play in the BCS title game.)

The NFL has three games today, including my Dallas Cowboys. That offensive power- house who has exploded for 14 points over the last two games. In that span they went 1-1 vs. two teams with a combined total of 7 wins. To give you perspective of that Dallas has won 7 games by themselves.It's time for Tony Romo to put up or for the Cowboys to start looking for a new quarterback. The other games are a mixed bag. The first game of the day will be Green Bay-Detroit. Other than fans of both teams I don't know who will be watching this game.

The nightcap should be the best game of the day. Both teams have winning and losing streaks this season. After winning their first 6 games, Denver has lost their last four games. They've been exposed as a pretender, as usually happens with Denver this time of the year. Denver is now 6-4 this season. Meanwhile the Giants started out with 5 wins in a row, lost 4 games in a row. They did win their last game to go to 6-4 on the season. Normally I wouldn't care who wins this game, but today I'm cheering for Denver. My boy loves the Broncos and the Giants are a NFC East rival to Dallas. On December 6th Dallas plays New York, that game will go a long ways to determining who wins the NFC East.

There are also basketball games going on today. The Jazz are playing their first Thanksgiving game ever since moving to Utah. They are playing the young and explosive Bulls. With Carlos Boozer leaving the Jazz after this season, the Jazz don't have a whole lot of chemistry. This season is pretty much going to be a wasted season for the Jazz. The other game is the Orlando Magic, who played a great game last night, against the Hawks.

Two more other NBA notes. According to espn.com Dwight Wade may be going to the Orlando Magic. If that does happen, what the hell is Miami thinking? It looks like Allen Iverson is going to retire. Good riddance to the most overrated player in NBA history. I'm sure he will make at least one comeback attempt.

Last night I finished reading "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". If I had the next in the series, "The Girl Who Played With Fire", in my possession I would have immediately started reading it. Alas I'm #14 still on the waiting list for that book at my local library. Instead I read a little more in John Irving's "Trying To Save Piggy Sneed". It's a collection of memoirs, short stories and essays. I was disappointed by the first and second memoir, they were boring and uninteresting. That really surprises me as Irving is one of my all-time favorite authors. "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is one of the greatest books ever.

I also watched "V" the other night, it's the fourth of four episodes that will be shown this fall/winter. If the ratings are good enough "V" will be back in March, 2010. The second episode was sleep inducing but the fourth episode is much better. I haven't been able to see the first or third episodes yet. Please ABC show them again. I want to see those two episodes before I can accurately form an opinion. My initial impression of "V" is that I'm a bit disappointed.

My lovely wife and I watched "Walk The Line", the Johnny Cash story. It was an okay movie. Reese Witherspoon did a great job but Joaquin Phoenix was not as good. Is that where Phoenix got the idea to try and be a pseudo rapper? I read Phoenix sang all the songs himself, I think they should have used Cash's actual voice. Phoenix is a pale imitation of the legendary Cash.

I'm glad Cash rebounded from his personal battles, he is definitely one of the all-time greats.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites