Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Stay", "Fear City", "Heart Shaped Box"

Hello,

I was busy walking on a treadmill this morning. As usual I was listening to my iPod and watching ESPN. All of a sudden this amazing song came on my iPod and I couldn't remember who sang it. So I checked my iPod and it was this song:



I know there are a lot of Miley Cyrus haters out there and I get it. However her new CD is so much mature than her previous work. This song "Stay" is just an amazing song. There are 5 or 6 other amazing songs on this CD as well. You can go on being a hater or check out this CD. I'd love to hear your opinion after you give it a few listens.

Previously I had read Joe Hill's "Horns" and I loved the overall story. There is a frightening story going on on the outside, but inside there's a nice love story. That's the same with his other novel. This one is called "Heart Shaped Box" and it's another amazing book. It grabbed me by the collar and pulled me in. It's one of those books that's so hard to put down. I highly, highly recommend this book.

Heart-Shaped Box: A NovelHeart-Shaped Box: A Novel by Joe Hill

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Wow, Joe Hill is 2 for 2 on amazingly written novels. I can't wait until his next novel comes out. This story was pretty creepy, although ultimately the good guys win. The two main characters, Jude and Mary Beth, I was pulling for like no other. I really cared what happened to these characters. And how it usually is for me: Once I finish reading an amazing book, I want to immeadiately start reading another book. I'm put Hill's short story collection on hold at the library. I'm not a big short story fan, but he is such a good writer, that I anxiously look forward to reading this collection.



View all my reviews

I had started reading Karl Marlantes' "Matterhorn", but it starts out so slowly I had to take a break. There's so many great books out there, I'm not sure if I'm going to give "Matterhorn" a second chance. Thank goodness for the library.

I don't know what my deal has been lately, but I've been on a movie watching binge. Thanks to Comcast On Demand, I can watch a new free movie pretty much every night. I'm now working on the dregs though. Last I night I watch a movie that's titled "Fear City". The story is about a person who is killing strippers. Actually the name of the movie should be "Boob City", as I haven't seen that many boobs since a Tea Party/ Sarah Palin rally. The 1984 movie is about as you'd expect it was okay. The movie stars Tom Berenger, Billy Dee Williams and Melanie Griffith. Griffith is looking pretty good in this movie. I had never thought that about her before. Then since it's an 80's movie, there is a bunch of that cheesy synth music playing. How was that ever a good idea? I wouldn't even call this a video movie, it's not that good. It's better than watching "Dancing With The Stars" though.

Also the next Rolling Stone cover has been announced and thank goodness it's not more of that blood and sex "True Blood" sort of cover. The new cover is of "Mad Men", a restrained picture by Rolling Stone magazines standards. Any cover with a picture of January Jones of course is going to be amazing.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites