Monday, August 2, 2010

Steven Tyler, no!!!!!!!!!!!, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire

Hello,

Over the weekend I spent a few minutes redesigning my website, do you like? I don't usually look at my own blog a lot. I did see it the other day and I realized how everything is scrunched together and doesn't look very good. It's not quite where I'd like it to be now, but it's getting better. I don't have the eye for aesthetics like my ex-wife does though.



On to "Idol": For those of you keeping track at home the panel for Season 10 consists of ? There are no confirmations as of yet. Unfortunately I think Randy Jackson will be back, he already has a contract for this season. Fox is too cheap to eat his contract, no matter how much he sucks. It also looks very likely that Jennifer Lopez will be on the panel next season. That will either be the greatest idea ever or a complete disaster. Then with every one else it's a crap shoot. Kara DioGuardi is getting no support from "AI" or Fox. I think they are keeping her in mind while they are trying to find someone else better. She's like one of those friends with benefits that's good to always keep in mind. I would dump her and Jackson so quickly if I could. Also if it was up to me there would only be three judges.

Now apparently Steven Tyler let slip that he will be one of the new judges for "AI". All I can think is oh please no, he's only slightly better than the Jessica Simpson rumors. If he was on the panel, I think he would do his best to make the show about him. I just can't see how that would work in any way. (Of course this is the same show that had Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson as judges for at least 8 seasons.) What would a panel of J Lo, Hell no! (Tyler) and just please go (Jackson) have in the way of constructive advice? I'm still waiting for Jackson's first piece of constructive advice and I'm afraid that Tyler would be trying to get in Lopez's pants the whole time. (Please no more Simon Cowell- Kara DiaGuardi like flirting.) Also as one commenter suggested on ew.com would you really want Tyler around a bunch of the newly allowed 15 year olds? I know I wouldn't want Tyler (or Don Draper for that matter) anywhere near my daughter.

I was excited to read on rollingstone.com the other day that a new Michael Jackson CD will be coming out in October. This CD will consist of 10 all new Michael Jackson songs, including outtakes from "Thriller" and "Bad". According to Rolling Stone, Jackson left behind hard drives with about 100 songs on them. This includes 5 songs he worked on with Will.i.am, the master mind behind the fantastic Black Eyed Peas. Some of his other collaborations I'm not so excited about, Akon? Seriously he has already disappeared from the music landscape. Not that he was any good in the first place.

Driving to work I was jamming to his "Dangerous" CD, one of his lesser known CD's. It's still a great CD and sounds good on my car's booming sound system. (Thanks, Mom. To all people who are thinking I'm a mama's boy. I admit it now please go piss off.) "Dangerous" has many great songs on it, including one of my favorite Jackson songs "Black or White". This CD also has "In The Closet", "Who Is It", "Heal The World", "Remember The Time" and "Give In To Me". If you are even a marginal Jackson fan, you need to pick up this disc. It's well worth your money, especially on a jamming stereo.

Two CD's of note are coming out tomorrow 1) Lady Gaga's "The Remix"- a collection of remixes of 10 of her best songs. I'm not a big remix fan, but her music is so inventive I think this one might actually work. I've heard snippets of it on amazon.com and plan on listening to all of it tomorrow on napster.com. I can hardly wait. Although Lady G, on a personal note will you please cut out the skank? She has yet another provocative cover on Vanity Fair. Now I like pictures of nearly naked women as much as the next guy. But with Lady Gaga, it's getting tired. For someone into self and female empowerment as much as she is, you'd think she'd be one of the last to resort to sex to sell her CD's. Plus she doesn't need to. Lady Gaga, you are one of the most original and innovative artists currently out there. You were a breath of fresh air in the first decade of this millennium. That first decade otherwise known as one of the most boring decades for music in history. No and it's not due to me getting older.

Another fresh breath of air for that lousy decade of music is Arcade Fire. Their first CD "Funeral" quite simply was genius. It may be the best CD of that whole decade. Their next CD, "Neon Bible" wasn't quite as good but still had some good songs on it. Two of the better songs are "Keep The Car Running" and the excellent "No Cars Go." Arcade Fire is back with their new CD tomorrow. The name of this CD is "The Suburbs". My expectations were lowered a bit after listening to two songs off of it from their myspace.com page. I'm lukewarm about both songs. I plan on listening to it tomorrow if I have time, if not definitely Wednesday. (I love napster.com). I also look forward to watching/listening to their concert on youtube Thursday night. They were nice enough for it not to start until I get home from work.

I know this is a rather long blog by my standards but I have a lot going on in my head. I love having this as an outlet. Plus after having no visitors yesterday, I need to have multiple topics to pull in my usual two or three hits a day :).

In my getting ready for the English Premier Soccer league, I'm reading Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch". (Yes, the same book that was made into a movie about the Boston Red Sox starring Drew Barrymore.) This book is about the Arsenal Gunners and Hornby's intense love of them. This book so far is basically a collection of journal entries strung together with the Arsenal Football Club as the unifying theme. However, I wish "Fever Pitch" was more cohesive and it would work a lot better. Hornby is a good writer, so I'm enjoying the book. I enjoyed both his "A Long Way Down" and "High Fidelity". (Yes I'm currently reading about 3 or 4 books now.)

I watched "Mad Men" last night, another great episode. Yes I will be writing about it, but it takes me a couple of days to think through a new episode. Just a couple of quick thoughts: If "Mad Men" can bring back the characters Glenn and Freddy Rumsen, where is Sal? I know he didn't sign a contract for this season but please still bring him back. Okay one more thought, can Don Draper go at least one episode without having sex with someone. If "Mad Men" was Freudian theory, Don would be the Id. I love Don Draper, so I was hoping this would be a redemptive season for him. I'd love to see the good side of his character win out for at least a few episodes, is that too much to ask?

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites