Sunday, August 15, 2010

Myspace music romeo

Hello,

Before I get a bunch of crap, yes I have a myspace.com account, but I only use it for music related things. I have no friends on myspace.com. facebook.com takes care of my on-line socializing for me. This morning I read about the myspace.com Romeo feature. Essentially what it is is random videos are played. They are either completely random or based on 15 genres and 13 moods as selected by myspace.com.

Romes doess have some cool ideas, but too many not so good ideas. First of all the player's screen is too big to fit on my computer screen. To be able to access the controls, which are both on top and bottom of where the video is, I constantly have to move the screen up and down. Second: Only 6 skips are allowed before one has to suffer through the video myspace gives you. Romeo makes too many bad selections, so that's problematic. 3) If I have up multiple tabs and am working on one of the other multiple tabs, that slows down the Romeo player. To get to the next video quicker, I have to go back to the myspace.com Romeo tab briefly. 4) There are way too many commercials played. They are either played after every song or after every two songs. One commercial, for a Windoze compmuter, is played and it obviously can't be skipped.

Romeo has controls: love, recommend on your myspace page, buy from iTunes, stop and skip. The control to pick between moods or genres is at the top. If you don't see it, click on the screen and the controls appear.

Initially I didn't pick a mood or genre, just let it be completely random. That was a mistake. Here's my experience after listening to 52 songs.

When I listened to Romeo with no mood or genre, here's what I got"

1) "The Opposite of Adults"- Chiddy Bang. Yet another lame rap video. This song could also be called "The Opposite of Music". I skipped this song.
2) I didn't get the title- The Gorillaz. Skip
Windows commercial
3) "Memories"- David Guetta Another not very creative song, There's way too much "Hey Hey Ya Ya".
Windows commercial. At this point I realized that 6 skips are allowed and there's a commercial every two songs.
4) "Our Kind of Love"- Lady Antebellum good
5) "The Consequence"- You Me At Six good
Windows commercial again
6) "Do You Think About Me?"- The lame 50 Cent. The only thing I liked about this video is it's an angry divorce song. I could relate to Fitty. Skip.
7) "I Feel Better"- Hot Chip. A weak synth driven song. Skip.
8) "Rocket"- Goldfrapp. The first song I loved, using the love control.
9) "New Star"- Turin Brakes
10) "Walking In My Shoes"- Depeche Mode. When Dave Gahan is singing, the video doesn't match up with audio.
commercial same one over and over again
11) "Digital Love"- Daft Punk Skip. 11 songs played: 6 skipped part of the way through and only two I loved. The other videos I was neutral on.
12) "When I Grow Up"- Fever Ray. I would have skipped this song if I could have, but the skip feature has been deactivated temporarily by myspace.com.
13) "Alice"- Moby I would have skipped if I could have.
14) "Sly"- Massive Attack
same commercial again
15) "Life Is Sweet"- Chemical Brothers. Another video I would have skipped part of the way through.
16) "Ghosts N Stuff"- Deadmav5
same commercial again
17) "Momma's Boy"- Chromeo
18) "Numbers"- Sky Eats Airplanes. I can skip again and do so.
commercial
19) "Fit Song"- Cornelious Skip.
20) "Rock and Go"- Blue Man Group
I started over on Romeo, still watching videos on completely random.
21) "When I Grow Up"_ Fever Ray. Second time this song is played, it still sucks and I skipped again.
commercial
22) "Alice"- Moby Second time played. Again the song still sucks, but now again I can't skip.

Go away from completely random. Now I listen to the pop genre and my mood is feeling energetic.
23) "So Obvious"- Runner Runner It's immediately a much better video. The concept is everyone, but the band members, are on the cell phones and thus can't make a personal connection. Just one of the many reasons I hate cell phones. Then all the cell phones lose coverage and everyone makes personal contact and starts having fun. Imagine that! That is until the lead singer receives a call at the end of the video, then we are back where we were at the start of the video.
commercial
24) "Blah Blah Blah"- Ke$ha. Immediately skip.
25) "Ice"- Lights The third song I marked as love.
commercial
26) "Heaven Can Wait"- We The Kings
27) "Runaway"- Artist vs. Poet
commercial
28) "Weightless"- All Time Low This is a funny, creative video. But still why doesn't the song and the lip sycnching match up. It looks even worse than "AI" group performances.
29) "Take My Hand" (Remix)- The Cab
30) "If Only They Knew"- A Rocket To The Moon

Change to rock music and energetic mood.
31) "Editions of You"- Roxy Music Grainy live video. Skip.
32) "You and I Tonight"- Faber Drive Good song.
33) "Graffiti Eyes"- stellastar* This is a rock song? Skip.
34) "Song 2"- Blur. A great song, but I'm not discovering new music.
commercial
35) "Dance Shawty"- 2 Live Crew This is rock? I've skipped too many times, so can't skip this video. It's a lame, stupid and obscene video.
36) "King of the Dogs"- Iggy Pop. This song sucks but I still can't skip. This song is rock?
37) "Little Know It All"- Iggy Pop featuring Sum 41. A not real great song, but at least it's a rock song. I would skip but being prevented by myspace.com
commercial
38) "Give Me The Meltdown"- Rob Thomas I gave this "love", this is the best song played so far.
commercial
39) "F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X."- Fall of Troy. Love.
commercial
40) "Gimme Chemicals"- Pink Spiders. Love.
commercial
41) "C'Mon"- Go Betty Go. Love
commercial
42) "Saturday Superhouse"- Biffy Clyro. The skip option still isn't back
commercial
43) "City Is At War"- Cobra Starship. This is a good band, but it's not a rock song. I still can't skip.
44) "Honky Tonk Song"- George Jones An entertaining video but not a great song
commercial
45) "Doing It All For My Baby"- Huey Lewis and the News. This video seems to be inspired by the "Thriller" video. Is it a tribute or a parody? My guess would be parody.
46) "Houseclouds"- The Liars The skip option is still off or I would use it. Again this is a rock song? It's good for a bathroom break at least.
47) "I Still Remember"- Bloc Party
commercial
48) "Vaseline"- Stone Temple Pilots. Love.
commercial
49) "Talking About the Smiling"- Flaming Lips. This song sucks. I would have skipped, but still can't.
commercial
50) "Siren on The 101"- Over It
commercial
51) "Mono"- Courtney Love I would skip again, but I still can't.
commercial
52) "Kennedy"- Kill Hannah
commercial

I'm wondering if all the commercials at the end were from me writing this blog and I didn't have the Romeo tab up? Writing this blog made me realize how lame I think Romeo is. This is alright but essentially a poor man's version of Pandora with videos.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites