Monday, February 14, 2011

The Grammys (yawn), Under appreciated songs of the day, Happy Single Awareness Day

Hello,

The Grammy's were on last night, as I was watching TV I flipped over to them. The female announcer was mentioning the upcoming performances. She mentioned the names Eminem, Avett Brothers, Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger. Those names produced 0% interest in me. Eminem, vastly overrated and he has become so tired. The Avett Brothers, who? Bob Dylan, the man who has been living on reputation since the 1960s. I know he has a legendary reputation, but I've never been a big fan. I highly doubt you could find many people that could name 10 of his songs. I know I couldn't. Also Mick Jagger, why is he on the Grammys? Unlike Bob Dylan, they have a lot of amazing, iconic songs. But for a show honoring the best of now, why is Mick Jagger invited?

I've been watching a few clips of last night's Grammys on youtube.com, where would we be without youtube.com? From what I can tell these were the two best performances of last night. The first being Bruno Mars:



What does it say about the Grammys that one of the best performances of the evening features the Muppets? This is Cee Lo and the still ravishing Gwyneth Paltrow singing "Forget You":



Get in the way back machine for one of the under appreciated songs of the day. I really love this Jim Croce song, "Bad Bad Leroy Brown":



I know I have featured this video before but I love this song so much. I'm not sure why this song didn't blow up. This is Kate Nash's "Foundations":



I know the following song needs more love like I need to gain weight. However I LOVE this song. Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now":

This is more of a dance version:



Here's the real version of this incredible song. This song has got to be a Top 250 song, it's so amazing. Just from the opening notes this song grabs you by the collar. That's a sign of a great piece of art, it grabs you at the start. It still has the same effect on me the thousandth listen that it had on me the first listen:



This is the first Valentine's Day (us single folks call it Single Awareness Day) that I haven't had someone in my life. This is the first time that has happened for several years. I'm actually okay with that as I continue to recover from the divorce. What that means for you is I'm not going to find a bunch of romantic songs to fill up my blog. When I think of love at this point in my life, songs like "Still" by the Commodores and the above "Foundations" and "Need You Now" come to my mind.

But for those people who've stumbled across this blog and are looking for a nice romantic song. I have one for you. The following song is a Christmas song, but it seems appropriate for Valentine's Day as well. The upcoming song is surprisingly sexy. Enjoy more Lady Antebellum and "Baby It's Cold Outside":



I'm going to the Woods Cross High production of "Les Mis" tonight. I'm not doing it for a Valentine's Day activity, this performance just happened to fall on February 14th. Tonight's performance is the finale of their run and I hope they go out on a good note. The young woman I'm going with, this is her first time seeing "Les Mis". Please make it good for her. I've read good things about Woods Cross performance of this all-time classic.

themusicaddict

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Avett Brothers are the greatest band nobody's ever heard of and were the only reason I was watching, although I'm glad I was so I could see Mumford and Sons kill it.

Favorites