Monday, February 28, 2011

Led Zeppelin, BYU basketball, the NBA and Under appreciated songs of the day

Hello,

First I'm starting out this blog with one of the greatest songs by one of the greatest live bands ever. I particularly like Jimmy Page's guitar work in this video. This is Led Zeppelin at the peak of their formidable powers. Seriously how can anyone argue that Led Zeppelin isn't the greatest band of all-time? This is the mighty Zeppelin with their hammer of the gods kicking butt with "Stairway To Heaven".



Before we get to the less exciting NBA, I want to give a shout out to the BYU Cougars Men's Basketball team. In a hard fought game Saturday, BYU beat SDSU 80-67. This journey that the Cougars have taken their fans on has been amazing and extremely fun. This is the most relevant BYU basketball has been since the Danny Ainge era. I love the scrappy toughness of this Cougar team. I love that other players beside Jimmer Fredette are stepping to the front. It seems Charles Abouo almost came out of nowhere to score 18 points on Saturday. I also enjoy the athletic toughness of Brandon Davies and the serenity and clutch three point shooting of Jackson Emery. I love the unheralded play of Noah Hartsock and all the other players whose hard work keeps this team running.

BYU has soared to #3 in the nation in the ESPN rankings released this morning. This has been an amazing ride, but I'm so nervous about the NCAA tournament. I know there are going to be a lot of haters saying BYU doesn't deserve whatever ranking it gets. I know there will be no respect for the MWC. That's in spite of BYU and SDSU being legitimate Top Ten teams and UNLV (22-7), Colorado State (18-10 and New Mexico (18-11) being solid teams. What I'm most nervous about is BYU flaming out early in the tourney and all the naysayers saying "I told you so".

What I'm hoping for is that BYU gets a #2 or #3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Also I will very happy if BYU makes the Sweet Sixteen, anything beyond that is gravy. The BYU-SDSU game got me nervous and that was a regular season game. I'm going to be wound tighter during the MWC Tourney and then the NCAA Tourney. Then if great things happen for BYU, and they have a chance to go to the Final Four, I'm going to be out of my mind. In an Elite 8 game several years ago, 1981, BYU was playing Virginia and Ralph Sampson. I remember being nervous about that game before it started. Then it was a hard fought game but BYU had no answer for Ralph Sampson and the Cavaliers won 74-60.

Thanks BYU for the memories, no matter what happens after today. I don't think BYU will win the MWC Tournament, traditionally they under perform there. Although it was heartening that they beat UNLV in Las Vegas earlier this season. Las Vegas is where the NCAA Tourney is played. (That's yet one more reason why I'm glad BYU will no longer be in the MWC.) I also think that if BYU plays SDSU again, that SDSU will win. It's just too hard to beat that good of team three times in one season. I love to watch Kawhi Leonard play as well. It will be interesting to see what kind of pro player he'll be.

Now on to the NBA again, yes again. I was incredulous that this mornings ESPN Sports Center devoted so much time to last night's Knicks-Heat game. Usually ESPN show a few highlights from each game, but they showed several highlights from this game. I watched a bit of the game last night. My thoughts: although last nights stats don't show it, Dwayne Wade is the man. He's been one of my favorite players to watch. Also the game was another typically boring Eastern Conference game. Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudamire do have some skills, but really is anyone frightened of them? What two man combination would you rather have Anthony/ Stoudamire or Wade/James? If you say Anthony/Stoudamire please! That's a duo that's doomed to fail. Did you know that Amare was short for A Marshmallow Piece? Also why did ESPN have to keep on showing Spike Lee? When was the last time he's done anything relevant? Isn't about time for him to go away? Other than a brief mention in a song from "Rent" I haven't thought of him in years.

Right now New York is 6th place in the NBA Eastern Conference standings. If the playoffs were to start today, they'd play Chicago in the first round. Even with Carmelo in New York, Chicago would have to be the favorite in that series. New York still has 29 games left in their season and I know a lot can change between now and then. But the Knicks are inconsistent at the least. They lose to the Cavaliers on the road, but beat the Heat in Miami?

Also it's about time to give Kevin Love some more love. I remember seeing him play a bit in his only season to UCLA. I was amazed by all those sweet long passes he made after grabbing a rebound, they usually led to an easy Bruins basket. I thought he would be a decent journeyman at best in the NBA. I have to admit how wrong I was, Love is amazing. He's an awesome rebounder and also scores a lot of points. Last night he had another amazing game, 37 points and 23 rebounds. He averages 20.8 points and 15.4 rebounds this season. He's now at 46 consecutive double doubles, only 5 games behind the great Moses Malone's 51 game streak. I loved watching Malone play, a true warrior of a earlier and lost era.

Speaking of a warrior, this is Dido's "Hunter". I love this song and it was one of the songs that helped me through my divorce. I love the lyrics of this song, just a great song. This is also one of the all-time great debut CDs ever. Unfortunately she hasn't lived up to her potential since then.



Here are the lyrics:

With one light on
In one room
I know you're up
When I get home
With one small step
Upon the stair
I know your look
When I get there

If you were a king
Up there on your throne
Would you be wise enough to let me go
For this queen you think you own

Wants to be a hunter again
I want to see the world alone again
To take a chance on life again
So let me go...

The unread book
And painful look
The TV's on
The sound is down
With one long pause
Then you begin
Oh look what
The cat's brought in

If you were a king
Up there on your throne
Would you be wise enough to let me go
For this queen you think you own

Wants to be a hunter again
I want to see the world alone again
To take a chance on life again
So let me go
Let me leave

For the crown you've placed upon my head
Feels too heavy now
And I don't know what to say to you
But I'll smile anyhow
And all the time I'm thinking
Thinking...

I want to be a hunter again
I want to see the world alone again
To take a chance on life again
So let me go

This song has one of my favorite beginnings and I look forward to meeting a woman that reminds me of this song:



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites