Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Goodbye Deron Williams

Hello,

A few weeks ago I was whining and moaning that the Jazz need a major shakeup. In a surprising string of developments the Jazz have done that. Jerry Sloan got sick of his situation and abruptly retired. Now news comes today that Deron Williams has been traded to the New Jersey Nets. Wow, that's a shocking development. It's especially shocking with the ultra conservative Miller family in charge of the Jazz. That's not a complaint, that's just the way it is. I can't decide if the Jazz did this to irritate Williams or not. Going to the Nets isn't exactly a big step up. The Nets are still only going to be a mediocre team at best, but so will the Jazz in all likelihood.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the Jazz. They gave up their all-world point guard, a player many consider one of the best point guards in the NBA. What do they get in return? A quality point guard in Devin Harris and last season's #3 overall draft pick. That's Derrick Favors, the Jazz also get some draft picks. The Golden State Warriors are also involved in some way, but everything is not clear yet. From what I've read so far, it's unclear what the Warriors get out of this deal.

I hate to say it I've been losing interest in the Jazz and the NBA the last few years. Although it will be fun to watch the Knicks implode with two big egos on their team, just please don't make me watch any of their games. I wrote about this yesterday. I remember I use to plan my days around Jazz games and I very excitedly would go see them play. Now I sort of follow them, but a lot of time I forget they are even playing games. Sometimes if I'm flipping channels and the Jazz are on, I stop and watch them play for a few minutes. But no longer can that hold my attention for too long. Although I may watch some of the Jazz-Mavs game tonight. Pro basketball is nowhere as exciting as college basketball.

Also I think the money is growing so much that it wouldn't surprise me if the Jazz aren't in Utah anymore in 5 or 10 years. If the Jazz do leave Utah, that will lessen my already minimal interest in the NBA. I'd probably start cheering for Oklahoma City at that point. Now they are a good young team with a likable superstar in Kevin Durrant. He chose to resign with Oklahoma City rather than try to join a powerhouse team. He also flies under the radar and there's not a lot of hype associated with him. He's just a good solid young player, he'll probably be an all-star for many years to come.

I'm looking forward to BYU playing SDSU on Saturday at noon MST. That should be a great game. It will be a hostile environment for the Cougs. Although how hostile can someone be that lives in San Diego? Jimmer Fredette averages more points on the road than at home. Although his scoring has been going down as teams figure out how to defend him. The general strategy is let the other BYU players beat you. That's why the Cougars need to expand where they get the points from.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites