Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Les Mis" at Woods Cross High, Under appreciated song of the day

Hello,

I graduated from Woods Cross High in 1985, a place where I had some good times. However I was mostly glad when I was done there. I haven't gone back a lot since I graduated, however I'm going back Monday night. That's because my alma mater, Woods Cross, is putting on "Les Mis". That might be my favorite musical of all-time. I'm a big fan of "Rent" as well.

I'm looking forward to going and seeing it, I've read one review of their performance so far, and that was a big thumbs up for the performance. "Les Mis", all of us big fans call it that, is worthy of all the press it has received. It's certainly one of the all-time classic entertainment's of all time. Victor Hugo wrote a great novel, I would suggest that you read the whole book. It's one of the great pieces of world literature. Jean Valjean is one of the greatest characters ever. The music, "composed in 1980 by French composer Claude-Michel Schönberg, with a French-language libretto by Alain Boublil" is simply amazing. (Thanks to wikipedia.org.)

This is how the play starts out, simply an amazing beginning "Prologue". My favorite part of the prologue starts about 8:20.



One is then rocketed along for three hours as the story impresses and music overwhelms you. This is almost a perfect play. I've been watching some of the youtube.com videos and listening to the soundtrack this morning and yes my excitement level has gone up. I'm extremely excited to go see this play again, even though I have already seen six or 7 times already.

This doesn't intend to be a full synopsis, just a few words to give the clips some context. Here are some other highlights:

From the very serious to the bawdy, this show has it all. Here's one of the most bawdy parts:



Valjean has been on the lam and has become the mayor of a town. Valjean is a man of great moral rectitude. Javert, the most misguided policeman of all-time, details his 10 year search for Valjean. Javert finds out who the mayor really is in "Runaway Cart":



Like Christina Aguilera's amazing "Star Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl, the following also gives me goosebumps. Another one of the stand out songs: "Do You Hear The People Sing?"



What would a "Les Mis" tribute be without the Thenardier's? This is the song that closes the first half of the show "Master of the House":



Okay one more classic "Les Mis" song in a slightly different context. This is the amazing Lea Michele singing "On My Own":



Under appreciated song of the day:

Do you remember when MTV use to show videos? Yeah either do I, but this is the first video they showed. This is the Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star":



The same channel that has so many great memories for me has now downgraded itself to "Jersey Shore" or whatever that waste of time show is. MTV, we'll always have been you were actually relevant.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites