Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Jimmer Fredette show continues on... just barely, Under appreciated songs of the day.

Hello,

I'm going very old school for today's under appreciated songs of the day, all the way back to 1973. This is Tanya Tucker's "What's Your Mama's Name".



Whoever made the following video perhaps is taking the lyrics a bit too literally. Tanya Tucker's hauntingly beautiful and aching "Will You Lay With Me":



Tanya Tucker's "Blood Red and Goin' Down":



Tanya Tucker has a very good voice. She was also the first concert I went to, when I was about 10 years old. I don't remember much about the concert. However I do remember the opening band was Cow Jazz and they had to keep on playing as someone from Tanya Tucker's band was late. I also remember many of the cowboys going up and kissing Tanya Tucker. My parents said they would take me up, but I was too afraid. I wish I would have taken them up on that invitation. Tanya was probably only about 17 or 18 at the time of the concert.

Last night I watched the last few minutes of the BYU-Wyoming game. BYU just had enough to hold on and edge Wyoming. BYU got lucky, if Wyoming knew how to close out a game they could have won that game. Fredette continues to struggle as teams have figured out how to defend him. I think BYU is becoming too much of a one man team and too predictable. BYU should give Fredette more rest during games and also give more shots to Brandon Davies and Jackson Emery. Let them win some games or die trying. A one man team is too easy to defend. If BYU is going to do well in the NCAA Tournament, they can't be a one man team. BYU returns to Provo to play UNLV on Saturday.

It seems that BYU might not be the only Utah team that's having a once in a generation season. The USU Aggies are tearing it up as well. The #21 Aggies are 21-2 overall and 10-0 in the WAC after beating Nevada 67-45 last night. The Aggies have won 16 straight games. Now I think that BYU will have a better run in the NCAA Tournament than the Aggies. However having said that, I think USU is more balanced. If things break right I could see USU reaching the Sweet Sixteen. Stew Morrill has done a great job in Logan, the Aggie basketball team is good every year. He needs to pass some of that magic on that pathetic Aggies football team. Now if they can avoid the first round flame out that has plagued them the last several years.

And the Utes... when this season ends they need to fire Jim Boylen immediately. I'd suggest right now, but nothing would be gained by that. His tenure seems to be marked by almost as many players transferring as wins for his Ute career. Right now the Utes are 10-12 after losing to UNLV 67-54. When you miss 40 of 57 shots though you aren't going to win many games. They play Air Force on Saturday in Salt Lake City, the Utes should win that game. Then after that 3 of their next 4 games are on the road, they'll be playing possibly the three toughest teams in the MWC. They play at San Diego Tuesday and then play at BYU that Saturday. Then on February 19th, they go to play New Mexico in the Pit.

My favorite thing about the Utes is Jim Boylen's quote about the team played hard. Sure that's good, but it seems to me he's trying to obscure how horrible of a job he's done. Jim it's time to go.

Also there's an alleged pro team in Utah, but I'm not going to mention them. They so desperately need to make a radical change before the NBA trading deadline. Something, anything.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites