Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"Falling Skies" Season Two Finale, "The Rocker" and Great Songs

Hello,

I watched the Season Two finale of "Falling Skies" Sunday night. It was a decent ending to a decent season. Over it's first two seasons it has held up pretty well. I like that the Second Mass was able to made it to fabled Charleston. The people of Charleston were clever in how they disguised the city. I like well thought out little touches like that. The creators of the show act like they real care about the show and want to make a good product. Another nice touch is how the Second Mass got to Charleston and then realized it wasn't what they thought it was.

It seems they want to recharge their batteries and then move on. That promises continued consistent quality of that show in Season 3. When a show gets to a geographical place and stays there for an extended time, a show can come stale quickly. (See the survivors at Hershel's Farm in "The Walking Dead" during the first half of the second season. Although their escape from his farm was one of the most exciting moments of "The Walking Dead's" first two seasons.)

While the show does have good things, it also has it's share of things that can be improved. Things that can be improved with "Falling Skies", I'm getting tired of the Mason kids, especially Matt. Every time he comes on the screen I cringe. The way Matt Mason character is written, he's a very boring character I'm also not a big fan of the actor who plays him. I do like Hal Mason, he's always been one of my favorite characters. I'm not sure I like the dark turn his character seems to have taken at the end of season two. And Ben Mason is starting to grow on me. At first I didn't like his character either, again he has grown on me. I like that he's working with the rebel skitters. They've found a good balance with how much his character should be on the show. With him not necessarily attached to the Second Mass permanently, I see a lot of flexibility with his character. Although at the end of Season Two it did seem like he would stick around for awhile. Does that have anything to do with Hal and his dark turn? I thought Noah Wyle would suck as Tom Mason, but he's done a very good job. Although I'm tired of how sappy he is with his kids.

I also don't know about the introduction of the new alien. When this show started out with the Mechs and Skitters that was interesting. Then when we found out about about the Overlords (fish heads) that was cool. Again another nice touch that I like about this show. That puts us at three different kind of non-human beings. Then are the humans evolving into the aliens. If so are they considered an alien? Are they more human or non-human? But now with a fourth or fifth different alien, are the producers of the show starting to rely too much on that for potential story lines? I have a feeling this new alien will either lift or sink the show. This new alien species could be interesting, however I would ask they not add any new alien species.

I also loved the red eyed skitter battle with the fish head, that was another nice touch.

"Falling Skies" is a consistent show, each episode is about the same quality. It doesn't have the highs and lows that "The Walking Dead" does. Many times with "Falling Skies" I've noticed the first 50 minutes are excellent, but then in the last 10 minutes of the show has a lot to be desired.

The other day I watched the Rainn Wilson movie "The Rocker". It was free on Comcast On Demand. Thank you Comcast! Was it an amazing movie, no. And I never want to see that much of Rainn Wilson's body ever again. But it was a good enough movie and had enough good things to make the movie worth my time. Also they had a great name for a heavy metal band with Vesuvius. That's a perfect name for a heavy metal band. The name of A.D.D.'s CD "Abandonment Issues" was pretty funny too. Although that was a dark thread running through an alleged comedy.

The other thing I like about "The Rocker" was the film captured many actors before they came big stars. I love Bradley Cooper as one of the Vesuvius rockers. We also see Jason Sudeikis, before he got with January Jones. I'm much more impressed by that than "Horrible Bosses". There's also the gorgeous Emma Stone, who went on to "Easy A" and some really dumb superheroes movie.  Also Josh Gad, who later became much more famous by starring in the Broadway play "The Book of Mormon".  Also Jane Lynch and Aziz Ansari also made this movie before heading on to bigger things. Teddy Geiger hasn't quite broken out yet. It was good to see two old favorites in Howard Hesseman and the still gorgeous Christina Applegate.

I was also surprised how good the songs were in the movie. This is "Down":



"Coming Through In Stereo":



"Bitter":



Now some other great songs. I'm dedicating "Leaving On A Jet Plane" to my brother and nephew who headed back to Belgium, following a six week vacation in good old America. Yes, I know there are more famous versions of this song, but this is one of my favorite versions. Obviously all lyrics aren't applicable :) I think Chantal Kreviazuk is an incredible talent and has an amazing voice:



From Jake Owen's incredibly sexy "Barefoot Blue Jean Night": is one of it's sexier songs "Alone With You":

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y3EpArAtGJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not what you would call a big Joe Cocker fan, but his version of this song is simply amazing. One of those rare situations where the sum is greater than the parts. It's not very often we find the right singer for the right song. Willie Nelson's "You Were Always On My Mind" and Keith Whitley's "When You Say Nothing At All" are other examples of that phenomenon. This song is so beautiful. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Cocker's voice cracking at the end of the song is a nice touch. This is also a dedication to an amazingly beautiful woman - yes she knows who she is. This is Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful":



And a great song I discovered because of Spotify. This is Lenka's beautiful "Trouble Is A Friend":



themusicaddict




No comments:

Favorites