Tuesday, August 14, 2012

(Refreshed and Improved December 19, 2020) Horshack Dies: Ron Palillo Dead at the Age of 63, Melancholy Songs

Hello,

blogger is having problems today, sorry for how funky things are today

Some sad news today. One of my favorite shows growing up was the hilarious "Welcome Back Kotter". The show is most well known because of Gabe Kaplan and a young John Travolta. This is one of John Travolta's first steps on his path to fame. (He also made "Saturday Night Fever" in this same time frame.) Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino. Anyway Ron Palillo played one of the most famous characters on the show, Horshack. He's one of the funniest characters in 70's television. Sadly Palillo died last night in Palm Springs at age 63. R.I.P. Ron.


This show was both hilarious and the cast had great chemistry. Barbarino teaches Horshak how to get the ladies:


One of the best theme songs in television history, "Welcome Back Kotter":


Sadly Robert Hegyes, who played Juan Epstein, also previously died. According to Wikipedia, Hegyes died on January 26th, 2012. R.I.P. Robert.


A shout out to Kaplan, Travolta and the actor that played Washington. Keeping with the somber theme, here are some great and melancholy songs. Enjoy:

Two of the best songs from MTV's "Unplugged" show and two of the best melancholy songs ever. There seems to be some kind of issue, I can't add either of these songs to my blog at this time.

Rod Stewart's "Reason To Believe":


Both of these songs really benefit from the "Unplugged" format. Eric Clapton's "Layla":


A song that's a bit offbeat, but still a great song. This is Jem's "They":


Lady Antebellum's amazing "Need You Now":


Another amazing, but bittersweet, song. The Band Perry's "If I Die Young":


The Republic Tigers "Buildings and Mountains":


Two from Maroon 5, first "The Sweetest Goodbye":


Maroon 5 featuring some lame, completely unnecessary rapper "Payphone":


A side note. Youtube views of The Republic Tigers song and "Payphone" is the exact reason why companies put so much money into marketing. In my opinion "Buildings and Mountains" is a better song than "Payphone". But nobody would believe me if you compare the youtube video's number of views. "Buildings and Mountains" has 153,732 views while "Payphone" has over 49 million views.

The Band Perry's "If I Die Young": (Yes I realize I have this song twice. It's such a great song that I'm going to keep both.)


Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me":


Skeeter Davis' "End of The World":


The Zac Brown Band's "Colder Weather":


Keane's "Only Somewhere We Know":


Sheryl Crow's "The First Cut Is The Deepest":


Tomorrow some songs that are a bit more current and upbeat. Thanks for indulging me.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites