Monday, August 27, 2012

Billy Joel's "Glass Houses"(Plus One): A Modern Classic (Preview)

Hello,

The plus one in the title refers to a song that he released much later but would fit perfectly on "Glass Houses". It's the last two videos on this blog entry.

I've seen Billy Joel in concert 4 times, once with Elton John, and he was excellent all four times. A great live performer.

Hipsters and critics may scoff, but I contend that 1980's "Glass Houses" is a classic. It's not in the same rarified air as Pink Floyd's "The Wall", Led Zeppelin's "4" or U2's "The Joshua Tree". However it's still a solid enough record that I consider it a classic. He purposely made this to be a rock record. The album cover is Joel in front of a glass house with a rock in his hand:


"Glass Houses" CD track listing. Or when it was originally released it was on record, cassette tape and maybe even 8 track. I love Billy Joel, thanks Billy for all the great songs and for this great record.

"You May Be Right":


One of the first videos I ever saw, yes Billy Joel was ahead of his time. This is "Sometimes A Fantasy":


I didn't even know this song had an official video, "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me":


"It's Still Rock and Roll To Me" (Live):


I love the sax solo in both versions of "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me".

"Sleeping With The Television On":


"Don't Ask Me Why" (Live):


"I Don't Want To Be Alone Tonight" (only 43 youtube page views?, this is a great song!)


"Close To The Borderline":


"C'estait Toi (You Were The One)":


"Through The Long Night":


"All For Leyna":


I don't like the sound of the above song, so here's the album version:


And it seems that "Pressure" would fit perfectly on "Glass Houses". This is the live version:


I didn't know this song had a video either, this is "Pressure" again:


themusicaddict






No comments:

Favorites