Thursday, August 16, 2012

Great and More Recent Songs :), Sports preview

Hello,

I'm 45 years old and so my music taste tends to date from when I was a teenager. I grew up in the very fertile 80's music era. The 80s is when new wave had it's peak, disco was still around for a bit, there was a lot of great pop and rock. It was also the beginning of the hair metal era and Guns N' Roses busted out in 1989. And I'm not a big fan of rap music. (Rick Ross on the latest cover of Rolling Stone? Please!) But that's when the Beastie Boys, Run-D.M.C. and LL Cool J had many of their best songs. All around a great decade for music.

Honestly when I do listen to the radio, it's mostly sports radio or stations that play a lot of 80s. So I don't usually discover a lot of new music. But sometimes through my kids or other avenues I hear new music I like. And I'm not really a music snob. I can enjoy "Call Me Maybe" just as much as "Welcome To The Jungle". Music has to be awful, very profane or very stupid for me not to like it. And I guess that explains my aversion to so called rap music.

Anyway here are some songs that are much more recent than what I usually put on my blog. I don't claim to be breaking any new ground with any of these songs. I'm not predicting what will be big hits or won't. These are just songs that have struck my fancy. Again I like most genres of music, so these songs will be all over the place. Enjoy.

I hope I have no problems with blogger today.

This is Tim McGraw's "Truck Yeah":



The name of this band is In This Moment, who I hadn't heard of until yesterday. I listened to their music for a few hours yesterday (Thanks Spotify) and I find I quite like this band. I couldn't just pick one of their songs, I ended up choosing this song randomly. And not all their music is this intense I assure you. This is "The Promise":



Taylor Swift's new song "We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together". Uber producer Max Martin worked with her on this song. If this reminds you of Avril Lavigne, Martin also worked with her. Swift is still singing love and break up songs, this song is okay.



I really, really like this song. The Rocket Summer's "200,000":



This is my favorite song from the latest Van Halen CD. This is "You and Your Blues". (I also like "Stay Frosty").



A band named Red Five and the song is "Your Creation" (This only has 32 youtube views):



Lianne La Havas' "Is Your Love Big Enough":



This is a pretty great song too David Guetta featuring Sia's "Titanium":



Thanks to a free Sub Pop sampler via amazon.com I discovered this song. This is a bit out of my comfort zone, but I really like it. Retribution Gospel Choir's "The Stone":



From the same Sub Pop sampler. Memoryhouse's "The Kids Were Wrong":



Silly for me to think the Neon Trees would be a one hit wonder. I really like this song too, "Everybody Talks":



Cher Lloyd's "Want You Back":



This is one of my favorite Rihanna, uh Brown, songs. I absolutely love this song, "We Run The Night":



Matchbox Twenty's "She's So Mean":



The lovely Katy Perry's "Wide Awake":



I will close with 3 more great songs from Walk The Moon's self-titled CD. (These three songs along with the amazing "I Can Lift A Car" make for a pretty great CD.) This is "Shiver Shiver":



"Next In Line":



"Jenny":



If I have time tomorrow I plan on writing a long sports blog as I have some opinions. Here's a quick preview. The Red Sox are done, put a fork in Bobby Valentine. The Dodgers should win the NL West now, with Melky Cabrera (Idiot) being suspended probably until next season. The Pirates are faltering, they'll be lucky if they finish 4-7 on their 11 game home stand. Atlanta Braves are very quietly putting together an amazing regular season. Now can they avoid melting down at the end of this season and actually do something in the playoffs for once? At least Red Sox fans don't have to worry about them melting down at the end of the season.

Felix Hernandez is a stud. Not a stud is the second wild card playoff, in fact it's a farce. A one game playoff between the two wild card teams in each league? May the farce be with Major League Baseball.

Football: Jordan Wynn of the Utes won't finish the season. I love BYU, but I hope they get an upgrade in quarterback next season. Matt Barkley and USC should play in this season's National Championship Game. The Utah-USC game should be a battle.

Tony Romo still sucks, his stupid pass to Jason Witten directly led to Witten's injury. There was no upside for Romo to throw that pass. Even in a best case scenario, it's still is only the preseason. I'm dreading another terrible Cowboys season. The Cowboys need to do what the Redskins did and trade some picks to move up in the draft and get a real quarterback. Remember Tim Tebow has as many playoff wins as Romo.

Great win for the American Men's National Team in Mexico yesterday. They won for the first time in 75 years in Mexico. That's an extremely hostile place to play.

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites