Monday, March 11, 2013

RockStars, Sleazy 80s Heavy Metal Classics

Hello,

My drive music today is Milli Vanilli's first, and only?, CD. I realize they were later revealed to be a fake band. However that doesn't take away from how great of a CD it is.

On Facebook I'm in a very cool group dedicated to music called RockStars. This group mainly revolves around rock music. However any genre of music is welcomed. I've posted videos from everything from Reba McEntire to Led Zeppelin to Milli Vanilli to anywhere in between. People post videos of songs they like and ask questions that lead to spirited discussions. After hanging out there this morning I was in the mood for some sleazy 80s and 90s heavy metal music. I have a ton of that on my iTunes, but it's not organized in a playlist.

At this point I just wanted to listen to this music and not create a playlist. I went over to Spotify, which I absolutely love, and searched by "80s heavy metal music". I stumbled across an excellent playlist by Steffen Martin Kjaerulff and listened to that playlist. We share very similar tastes in classic heavy metal music. Not only does his playlist have a lot of songs that I'm very familiar with, it also introduced me to some great songs that I somehow missed back in the day.

The following videos are from and inspired by his excellent "80's and 90's Heavy Metal" playlist. Rock on! Thanks Steffen! I also highly recommend Scott Marcoly's "80's Heavy Metal: Best Music Ever"
playlist. Thanks Scott! I'm starting with Kjaerulff's playlist as a jumping off point. His songs make me think of other songs. Game on!

Here we go, enjoy:

I don't recall ever hearing White Lion's "Broken Heart" before today, but how did I miss this song?



I'm also not sure how I missed Europe's "Prisoners In Paradise":



Clearly Kjaerulff is a Bon Jovi fan. I can't say I'm a big Bon Jovi fan, but they aren't terrible either. I saw them in concert when they were at their peak and I wasn't that impressed. The first CD I bought was Bon Jovi's "New Jersey". I've been going through a Bon Jovi phase lately for some reason. Bon Jovi's "Shot Through The Heart" (not to be confused with "You Give Love A Bad Name"). This was clearly still when Bon Jovi was working on their sound. A few years later Bon Jovi fleshed out these ideas to multi platinum glory.



From Bon Jovi's mid 80's classic "Slippery When Wet",  "Without Love":



Jon Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory":



Bon Jovi's "Runaway":



Although this song is kind of sweet, the sound is as sleazy as it gets. I mean sleazy as a compliment.



Firehouse's "When I Look Into Your Eyes":



Another sleazy heavy metal classic Megadeath's "Angry Again":



Metallica's "Ride The Lightning":



Another Metallica classic, "One":



From Ozzy's (I don't need to write his last name do I?) mid-80's classic CD "The Ultimate Sin" comes "Shot In The Dark":



Skid Row's "Monkey Business":



One of the best power ballads ever, Skid Row's "I Remember You":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites