Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Magic of March Madness: NIT Edition

Hello,

I didn't want to write about the Dallas Cowboys today, but it irritates me so much when Jerry Jones is on the verge of making yet another bad move.

What I really wanted to write about is the magic of March Madness. Yesterday I got home in time to see the last several seconds of the Robert Morris-Kentucky NIT game. The Robert Morris player, Mike McFadden, went to the free throw line and calmly hit probably what will be the two biggest free throws of his life. The Colonials, yes I had to look up their nickname,  held on to beat the defending NCAA Tourney champs. Sometimes fans and students rushing on to the court feels contrived, but when RMU fans rushed the court last night that was truly a great moment.

I also love how much teams like St. Johns, La. Tech, BYU get so excited about the NIT. While I'm not sure how much motivation Kentucky had, I could tell most of these teams wanted to win. I loved the game winning shot by St. John's Sir'Dominic Pointer. Pointer made that very tough fadeaway shot look easy. Then to see how excited he and his teammates were after that shot went in was also fun to watch. This is exhibit 6,000,006 why college basketball is so much more fun to watch than NBA basketball.

I also watched most of the first half of BYU-Washington game. I didn't know if the Cougars had it in them to win that game, but they did. They won a good game over a mediocre opponent. Tyler Haws needs to get some help though. He's a great player, but he can't do it by himself. Not only that, but I don't want to do it by himself. Jimmer Fredette was a great player for BYU, but the Cougars were way too one dimensional when he was at BYU.

The Cougars should use all these games as practice for next season. By Dave Rose's rotation last night, that seems to be what he's doing. (When will the Jazz give up on this terd of a season and start building for next season?) BYU will next host the winner of Mercer-Tennessee.

I was also glad to see BYU's conference mate, St. Mary's, advance in the NCAA Tournament. And of course I'll be cheering for Gonzaga tomorrow. With that game in Salt Lake and with me being at the ESA tomorrow I may be able to even see that game. I may or may not have time to post a blog tomorrow.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites