Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Beginnings of Heavy Metal, More Sleazy And Not So Sleazy Songs, Heavy Metal Classics 3

Hello,

If you're some teenager that happens to stumble across this specific blog, you are probably confused. You are probably wondering why old people still love this music so much. Well thanks for asking? This is the music that I grew up with, so with each song usually there's at least one memory attached. But also this music rocks.

Heavy metal had been around for years, but it was bubbling underground. On July 11th, 1981 Def Leppard released "High 'n' Dry", but it came and went without much notice. Although I still remember the girl at the local record store kept on telling everyone this was going to be big. We all thought she was crazy. Although that wasn't the greatest CD ever, nor was it their first, that was a sign of what was coming.

On that early CD comes one of the Lep's most enduring songs, "Bringin' On The Heartbreak":



January 20th, 1983 Def Leppard released the (sarcasm alert) slightly known CD "Pyromania". Again from what I recall they didn't break big immediately. However they slowly built up their following. I'm not saying Def Leppard started the heavy metal movement. However their band and heavy metal music exploded about the same time. (Also if you ever happen to be in an elevator with Joe Elliot, you may not want to call his band heavy metal. He absolutely hates that term for their music.) This song was probably most people's experience with Def Leppard:



Another great song from "Pyromania", "Rock of Ages":



"Foolin'":


Sometime in 1983 two Quiet Riot songs broke into the mainstream. From what I remember these were the first heavy metal songs that were more than just a curiosity.  This first song is titled "Cum On Feel The Noize" and it's a remake of a Slade song. So again this kind of music had been around, but not able to break out.



Quiet Riot also had this song "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)":



Although "Mama Were All Crazee Now" didn't have the same impact as their first two songs, it still had some impact. That was a sign that this heavy metal music thing might be around for awhile. (At least until grunge raised it's flannel flag.)



Then came Motley Crue, Cinderella, Ratt, Poison et. al and as they say the rest is history.

Here's some more classic heavy metal songs, now some of these might not fit in the "heavy metal" category, but I hope you give me a pass. All I know is that the following songs are great and kick some serious butt. This will probably be my last classic heavy metal blog..... well for at least a month or so.

Ozzy's "Crazy Train":



"The Ultimate Sin" is probably my favorite of all of Ozzy's work. This is the title song:



This song kicks some serious butt, "Thank God For The Bomb":



Twisted Sister were so dangerous they didn't even need to be grammatically correct. "We're Not Gonna Take It":



"What kind of man desecrates a defenseless textbook". "I Wanna Rock":



In my heavy metal blog from a couple of days ago, I featured Skid Row's song "I Remember You". Here's a couple of other great songs off their first CD:



"Big Guns":



"Youth Gone Wild":



Jackyl "I Stand Alone":



Previously I've featured Motley Crue classics, "Girls, Girls, Girls", now here's some more sleazy Motley Crue rock.

"Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away) :



I love how this song grabs you from the opening note: "Dr. Feelgood":



"Kickstart My Heart":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites