Tuesday, December 27, 2016

themusicaddict's Review of Justin Cronin's "City of Mirrors" (Spoilers)

Hello,

Special thanks to Ballantine Books, Random House LLC and NetGalley.com for letting me read this book free for only a review.

I just barely finished reading "The City of Mirrors" a few minutes ago and I give it a thumbs up. It's a pretty good book, but didn't quite reach it's potential. Overall I really enjoyed the book, it serves as a great final novel in "The Passage" Trilogy. I didn't want "Mirrors" to end and am feeling very sad that it has. Honestly it made me want to go back and reread "The Passage", how would I react when I know the end? I did reread the first few pages and immediately fell back into the story and wanted to continue reading.

A couple of minor quibbles, I didn't like the fate of Alicia. Without saying too much, I can't believe that was the end of her story. This isn't a complaint, near the very end of the book we meet Miles. It seemed an odd ending until we find out the woman he meets. She's at both the beginning and the ending of this fantastic trilogy. And honestly that's only right, it's also very moving. It's sad to me that I'm letting all of these old friends go now.

Things I liked about "The City of Mirrors", Amy and all the other great characters, the book is not easy to predict, I liked the story, I loved the virals, loved following all these great characters over about 2000 pages, I enjoyed the ending.

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes great fiction. Also anyone that likes vampire fiction- but not the Edward or Jacob kind. I liked the "Twilight" books, but the movies are nearly unwatchable. I look forward to when Cronin's novels are made into movies.

On the scale from 1 to 10, I give this book a 9. Thanks Justin Cronin for this masterful trilogy.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites