Saturday, April 3, 2021

(Finished April 10th, 2021) Part 2 of The Best of Motown: Songs 138-122

Hello,

Rolling Stone magazine has released their rankings of the Top 100 Greatest Motown Songs of All-Time. I agree with a lot of their choices, but I also disagree with a lot of their choices. I'm going through Rolling Stone's list, adding and subtracting as I see fit.  This will be 9 blogs of the Greatest Motown songs ever. There's just so much great music that came out of Motown. Included are songs that feel like they should be Motown songs or songs that are covers of Motown classics. I've also included songs from Motown subsidiaries like Tamla.

As always these blogs are living, breathing things I reserve the right to make changes as needed. Several of these songs I've never heard before, a few may grow on me or also completely fall out of favor. 

If you want to see Rolling Stone's official list, go to this link: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-motown-songs-1139063/

138) Mary Wells "Two Lovers":

137) The Mary Jane Girls "All Night Long":

136) The Temptations "Since I Lost My Baby":

135) David Ruffin "My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)":

134) Marvin Gaye "I Want You":

133) Smokey Robinson and the Miracles "Ooo Baby Baby":

132) Gladys Knight & The Pips "If I Were Your Woman":

131) Eddie Kendricks "Girl You Need A Change of Mind":

130) Rick James and Teena Marie "Fire and Desire":

129) The Marvelettes "Too Many Fish In The Sea":


128) Stevie Wonder "Boogie On Reggae Woman":


This is a decent song, but I don't think it's worthy of it's reputation. 127) Marvin Gaye "Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology)":


126) The Monitors "Greetings (This Is Uncle Sam)":


125) Stevie Wonder "All I Do Is Think About You":


124) Stevie Wonder "Don't You Worry "Bout A Thing":


123) Michael Jackson "Got To Be There":


122) The Isley Brothers "This Old Heart of Mine":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites