Wednesday, October 26, 2011

3 Consecutive Good Rolling Stone Covers, Evangeline Lilly, Season Two of "Lost"

Hello,

Due to a time constraint I wasn't going to write a blog today. But then I found some time and started working on this blog. Once I started working on it I quickly had diarrhea of the mind. One thought led to several others. I can't finish this blog now, I'll finish it later when I have time. 2:00 MST

While the blog still isn't completed, I've worked on it a bit more. 11:00 MST

People continue to talk about the demise of Rolling Stone magazine. However it continues to live on and even thrive. From what I can tell it's still the most influential music magazine. I'm guessing that goes with it being the best music magazine out there. Rolling Stone covers both classic and new artists, although I'm not sure what their fascination with Lil Wayne is. Rolling Stone is very topical but also covers great music from the past. It's one of those magazines that I find 3 or 4 interesting things in each issue. It's sticky as people in the ad business say, which means RS can charge more for each ad.

Two other things in it's favor is that it's reasonably priced and comes out every other week . I enjoy most music magazines that come from England. Those include magazines like Mojo, Classic Rock and a couple of other titles I can't remember right off. However all those are monthly and cost over $10 per issue. Unless it's an amazing issue that's just too much to pay for a magazine. Many times they have longer and more in-depth articles. So they usually provide a lot of quality readying. I don't care if it has a free CD, many times the free CD blows. I wish they would get rid of the "free" CD and cut the price.

Spin is also a reasonably priced music magazine, but honestly it sucks. I do subscribe but only because of the price and it even occasionally has an interesting article. Although those don't come frequently enough. The last issue I looked through only took about 20 minutes. It was the fashion issue and that issue was non-sticky. Spin desperately tries to be so cutting edge that many times it's cover musician is someone I've never heard of. This month the cover artist is Dat Racist. I've heard of them but couldn't tell you anything about them and honestly I don't care. For instance, is Dat Racist one person or a band? But honestly again who cares? Then last month's musician I can't even remember her name. Probably the best thing about Spin is the free songs that come each issue. Each month they have a new iTunes code that one can use to download 10 to 15 songs a month. Occasionally I stumble across a gem in those free songs.

The new issue of Rolling Stone issue that was announced today, it has Eddie Murphy on the cover. He's riding a career resurgence and will be in the new movie "Tower Heist". He'll also be hosting the next Oscars. Although the movie looks like a return to form for Murphy, the movie looks terrible. In the article he says he'll no longer be doing family films. Thank goodness. As a father of four children I appreciate family films. However they are a complete waste for Murphy, he needs to return to making those kind of movies that made him a superstar in the first place. In other words Axel Foley not Mr. Doolittle.

The two previous Rolling Stone covers were for Steve Jobs, albeit he had to die to get that cover, and an article about Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". This is a relatively hot streak for Rolling Stone. The four previous covers before that, prepare to yawn now, Jon Stewart, George Harrison, Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Sheepdogs. A fake news person, the third most important Beatle, a washed up band that hit their peak in the early 90's and an unsigned band that won a Rolling Stone contest.

Also Rolling Stone magazine your online archives suck. I read the article about Evangeline Lilly from 2005 in your archives. The article was written during the second season of "Lost". It was a weak article and to read the article online was almost more work than it was worth. Rolling Stone what you should do is steal, uh borrow, how DC Comics presents their online comic books. Their system works a lot better and is much more intuitive than your online archives.

Oh and one more thing RS, you put the gorgeous Miss Lilly on the cover of that issue. I'm not sure how you did it, but that's the worst I've seen her. She's an amazingly gorgeous woman. A gorgeous face and body. She looks gorgeous on "Lost", you should have used a picture from the show. Or at least posing as if in a scene from the show. I'm not sure why you featured a picture with Miss Lilly not looking her best.

I continue watching the second season of "Lost" on DVD. (Thanks to the Davis County Library system.) Last night I watched the episode "What Kate Did", that might be the best episode of Season 2. Season 1 ended so well with Locke and others looking down into the hatch. But Season 2 has started out slowly. However with the 9th episode of the season "Lost" got it's mojo back.

This was obviously the episode where we learned "What Kate Did". Katie, as her Dad says, has murder in her heart. She killed her step father, Wayne, in cold blood. Is anyone shedding a tear for the wife beating Wayne? No, but still there might be better options than killing him. Later Sawyer seemed to be channeling Wayne to both Jack and Kate. That was creepy. Also this is the episode where a horse ran in front of the car causing the Marshall to crash the car. Later we see the horse on the island. Both the horse and Kate seem to know each other, but so far no explanation has come yet.

In this very busy issue episode Mr. Eko presents Locke with a bit more of the orientation film. Mr. Eko had found this in a different place on the island. The new section of film has a very ominous warning on what the computer should and shouldn't be used for. (BTW, when are they going to stop entering in the code every 108 minutes? I'm sorry if I'd been Desmond one day I would have just laid in bed and ignored the alarm after a few weeks. Haven't they figured out yet that nothing will happen if the code isn't answered? For me at some point I'd stop being one of Pavlov's dogs.) As Eko and Locke are re watching the restored orientation film Michael is in the other room. Of course he's doing exactly what the film says he shouldn't do. He thinks he's talking with his son. Hasn't he learned yet that the Others like to mess with the Oceanic 815 survivors? That's what they do. He's no more talking to Walt than he was talking with me.

"What Kate Did" was probably the second best episode of all 34 episodes I've seen so far. It also has the advantage of coming after one of the shows worst episodes. The previous episode was "Abandoned", it is the show that featured Ana Lucia Cortez. we saw her flashbacks. We also know she has murder in her heart as she tracked down the burglar who shot her. However the rest of the episode was Michelle Rodriguez mourning in the jungle. This was obviously suppose to be a highlight episode for Rodriguez but it bombed spectacularly in that regard. I also love how she only had the skimpiest clothes available to wear. The pants are so tight on her I'm amazed she can breathe. This horrid episode is not the fault of Rodriguez, it's the fault of the folks that stuck her with the horrid script.

Locke continues to be my favorite character, but Mr. Eko is quickly growing on me. He has such cool quotes, paraphrasing here, "Don't mistake coincidence with fate". Of course, how can you not love Kate Austen. Also Sawyer, although having a terrible attitude and entirely in love with himself, is always good for a laugh. I'm also holding out hope that Ana Lucia will become a great character. I had such high hopes after she flirted with Jack in the Season 1 finale. Claire seems to be in the process of being relegated to being off the show soon. I like Michael okay although I'm tired of his story line involving his son. It seems the producers recognize that and that's why we haven't seen much of him in Season 2. I also love Sun and Jin, especially now that Jin is finally starting to learn English. Why did they take so long before his character started learning English. I'm also glad that Locke finally got the handcuff off of Jin's hand He's had that on for so long, I can't remember how he even got it on in the first place.

I can live without Charley, Hurley, Rose and Bernard. Also I won't miss Boone or Shannon too much. The actress playing Shannon seems to have fallen completely off the face of the earth. Any characters I'm not mentioning I've forgot about and seem not to interest me that much.

Two questions: 1) When are we going to see Locke's flashbacks that explain what made him such a resourceful person? He knows about boars, Nigerian drug runners, how to use dynamite, knives and how to splice film. That plus several other cool things he knows that we have no explanation how he knows them. 2) Also when are we going to find out about the Others and what they want. That is if they actually want anything or are they just jerking around the survivors? When they kidnap the plane survivors what do they do with them? Are they part of the experiment that's going on with the hatch?

Thinking about all that makes me want to skip out on the last few hours of work and go home and watch more episodes tonight.

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites