Thursday, October 27, 2011

Great Theme Songs, Steaming Piles of Crap, The Disastrous "Lulu", "Lost" Episode "Psalm 23" and the Kaysville Beginning Orchestra

Hello,

Welcome to the 997th themusicaddict blog. So what are your plans to celebrate my 1000th blog? Are they the same as mine, doing absolutely nothing? It looks like my 1,000th blog will hit about Tuesday or Wednesday. My youngest child turns 8 on Monday, yes Halloween Day. I have my kids this weekend and we will be celebrating his birthday. The poor kid has had a lot of changes and upheavals in his life. Not only have his parents divorced but he's been forced to move a lot of times. That's not easy when he's so averse to change. I was able to see him last night as my middle son was performing at a concert. I felt very good that he came and sat by me.

My middle son performed with the Kaysville Beginning Orchestra. I'm glad to see him find something he likes to do, I just hope he sticks with it. Anyway last night's program finale was playing the "Theme From The Pink Panther":


Another great theme song is the theme from "Mission Impossible". The new "M:I" movie "Ghost Protocol" looks like a steaming pile of crap. If you can't even come up with a good title, how do you expect the movie to be good? At least we'll always have this song:


I hate to be the one that shouts that the king has no clothes, but haven't all the "Mission:Impossible" movies been steaming piles of crap? We really are in dark days of movies. There are so many crappy movie series that the movie studios are sucking dry of every penny they possibly can. I'm not talking about the "Harry Potter" or "Twilight" books. At least those series were planned out in advance. I'm talking about the "Transformers" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" type of films. The first "Pirates" movie was mildly amusing but way too long. It would have been a much better movie if a half-hour of bloat had been cut. I like a dumb summer popcorn movie as much as the next person, but some of these movies take being dumb too seriously.

Another all-time great song, not just an all-time great theme, is for "Hawaii-Five O". Though as in the case above the song is much better than the show it's from. The current "Hawaii Five-O" is mediocre television. I'd point out (again) how lame the stories are, but this show doesn't really have stories. It's more like a random collection of thoughts trying to make a story. Although in fairness the story is almost beside the point. It's hard to beat Grace Park in a bikini or Lauren German's amazing green eyes. I also love seeing two "Lost" alumni with Daniel Dae-Kim (Jin) and Terry O'Quinn (the amazing and mysterious John Locke). Anyway the theme song remains the best thing about the show.


Rereading the above paragraph I realize why I still like the show. Besides the things I mentioned, there's also the mostly cool characters, the amazing scenery and the show's humor.

There's been a lot of talk about the collaboration between Lou Reed and Metallica, what some people refer to as Loutellica. The name of their CD is "Lulu" and it comes out Tuesday. I went to amazon.com to get a sense of what the CD is about. I knew there was going to be trouble when I read this "Lulu was inspired by German expressionist writer Frank Wedekind's plays Earth Spirit and Pandora's Box, which tell a story of a young abused dancer's life and relationships and are now collectively known as the 'Lulu Plays.'"

Really Metallica is working on a music project revolving around something called "Lulu Plays"? They are collaborating with Lou Reed? Lou Reed is even still alive? None of those things made me want to run to Graywhale and buy it Tuesday. While surfing the net the other day I stumbled across this review of "Lulu" at grantland.com. It's Chuck Klosterman's scathing review: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7146312/lou-reed-metallica-album

Honestly there's no reason that "Tokyo Oklahoma" should work, but somehow it does. This is John Anderson's "Tokyo Oklahoma":


Here's one of Anderson's greatest songs and also one of the most heart breaking songs ever. It also hits closer to home than I'd like it to.


This song kicks my butt every time I hear it and I'm thankful that this song doesn't hit close to home at all. I just wish I could find a better version of this song.


Sports and other follies"

The LA Dodgers, under Frank "Always In" McCourt have hit yet another new low. (I'm sorry because McCourt owns the Dodgers, it's hard to separate the two.) Now there's a lawsuit and McCourt is claiming Brian Stow is partially responsible for his own beating. McCourt's lawyer, Jerome Johnson, is using the it takes two to tango logic in trying to assign a percentage of blame on Stow for Stow being beaten. It's only in our troubled legal system that makes sense. It's the classic blame the victim philosophy.

Johnson does have precedent for this legal tactic. This really irritates me. I don't care if Stow was taunting the Dodgers fans who attacked him. That doesn't give anyone the right to attack a defenseless person. Stow was in a coma for several months and according to espn.com; "remains in a Bay Area rehabilitation facility. His family has said that he is speaking again and has made great progress since the March 31 attack, but that he still needs around-the-clock care indefinitely." (Thanks to espn.com)

Frank McCourt is quite simply a crap magnet. Of course, another word for that is karma. Hire a lawyer that suggests to blame the victim is abhorrent. How much will McCourt ruin this team before MLB can finally the Dodgers from his desperate grasp?

Thoughts on "Lost" Season Two, Episode 10 "The 23rd Psalm". The flashbacks are for Mr. Eko, including learning how he received that name. After killing a priest under duress, and to protect his brother, he was drafted into a marauding gang. That led to his rise until he became a warlord himself. In that childhood moment he shot a man so that his brother wouldn't have to. From that day the brothers took separate paths. The younger brother, Yemi, became a Priest and Eko became a warlord. Who knew it would take a mysterious island in the Pacific to reunite them? Unfortunately Yemi was dead as the result of Eko's poor choices in life. I liked how the cross necklace revolved between the brothers through the course of the show.

Mr. Eko remains a very cool character. He's the ultimate badass. Not only did he became a Nigerian warlord but he also faced down the smoke monster. The smoke monster was the one to flinch. That was a great scene. Charlie got off the line of the night when Mr. Eko told him that he wasn't scared of it. And Charlie with an incredulous note in his voice said "I can see that".

In the chorus of this song substitute smoke monster for the word ghost.


Later things weren't so good for Charlie when Claire kicked Charlie out of their tent. I hadn't realized that they had been living together. Although it's obvious they didn't consummate the relationship yet. Charlie went and turned to his stash of Virgin Mary/ heroin containers for comfort. I hope he didn't partake because that would be so lame. I know heroin is hard to kick, having read Nikki Sixx's "Heroin Diaries". (No, I'm not saying I understand in anyway how hard it is to kick heroin, but after reading that book I understand the process better.) But in fiction a cycle of addiction recovery addiction makes for a boring story. After the first 1.5 seasons being so amazing I expect better from J.J. Abrams and the gang.

I'm getting even more tired of the Michael/Walt story line. The Others have kidnapped Walt and I know this is suppose to make me feel sympathetic for Walt. However the only thing it illicits from me is a yawn. I just don't care. It also drives me crazy that Michael thinks he's communicating with his son through the computer. When will he see he's being played for a fool? Will he see it before it's too late? With Boone and Shannon recently being written out of the show, are Michael and Walt the next characters to leave?

I also like how Jack assured him that they would eventually get a group together and go get Walt. When they get that group together I hope it includes Mr. Eko, Locke and Ana Lucia. Mr. Eko is a born killer and Mr. Locke knows his way around both guns and knives. I know that Ana Lucia might be slightly unbalanced, but she knows how to kick out. She's killed at least two people we know of.

Finally with NBA owners and players meeting yesterday for 15 hours, and seeming to be making some progress, I think it's only a matter of days before they agree on a new CBA. It does make me laugh that with the season originally scheduled to start on November 1st, it wasn't until October 26th that they finally got some urgency. Greed put them in this predicament and it's what will get them out. To paraphrase a line from Blake Shelton's "Ol' Red", "greed got them in and greed got them out".

If there was ever any doubt that this lockout was mainly about greed, the two sides still wanting to play 82 games, proves that it is. David Stern previously said that the first two weeks of the season were "cancelled". The biggest loser of this whole NBA fiasco is Stern's reputation. Almost nothing he has said has come to fruition or has he kept his word.

With still having a free agency period, training camps and everything else how will they possibly still have a 82 game season? Chris Cooley, injured Washington Redskin, blames his season ending injury on the NFL Lockout. I think NBA players will also be injured if they are rushed into play just to make the mainly billionaire owners a few more dollars. Also there's still the NBA All-Star tour that's suppose to start Sunday. We have all these things in play so there are still roadblocks to a season starting still.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites