Friday, October 28, 2011

Great Sports Weekend, Spotify playlist

Hello,

It's shaping up to be a great sports weekend. Obviously the highlight of this great sports weekend is Game 7 of the World Series tonight. I didn't watch last night's game, but I did follow it on the internet. Now I wish I would have watched it. There were 3 different times that I thought that Texas had won the game, only for St. Louis to come back each time. Two times St. Louis were down to their final strike and still got a crucial hit to extend the inning. The Cardinals eventually won on David Freese's home run in the bottom of the 11th. As I was watching the highlights this morning on ESPN I was getting goosebumps. If you want to read a much more thorough recap of last night's amazing game go to grantland.com. Read Jonah Keri's article there. In honor of Freese's dramatic 11th inning home run:


I've got two pieces of good news for the St. Louis Cardinals. Chris Carpenter will be pitching for St. Louis. Also one of the biggest all-time MLB playoff chokers won't be playing. That's the highly over rated Matt Holliday. He's been virtually invisible at the plate and in the field he hasn't been much better. He had at least two highly questionable defensive plays last night. I also remember when the Dodgers were playing St. Louis in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Holliday dropped a very catchable ball and with that gift it propelled the Dodgers to the next round. Sometimes its hard to remember the Dodgers have had some good times in the McCourt era.

Then showing on ESPN at roughly the same time it will be 6-2 BYU vs. 5-2 TCU. As a humongous BYU fan, I'll be honest with you BYU isn't as good as their record indicates. Bill Parcell's famous quote is "You are what your record says you are". However I don't think that's true with this BYU team. They've played some really bad teams this season, yes Idaho State I'm looking at you. Tonight's game will be played at Cowboys Stadium against a TCU team having an off year. This game will be a good test of how good both teams are. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on the Horned Frogs though. BYU is 1-0 in Cowboys Stadium.

Also playing tonight is the Detroit Red Wings vs. the San Jose Sharks in a rematch of last season's NHL Western Conference semi-finals. The Sharks have knocked the Red Wings out of the playoffs two years in a row. After winning their first five matches, Detroit has looked terrible in their last two matches. On espn.com's Streak for the Cash, 91.2% predicted Detroit to win tonight's hockey battle.

Possibly the college football game of the day tomorrow is 7-0 Stanford and Andrew Luck traveling to LA to play 6-1 USC and Matt Barkley in the Coliseum. This game kicks off at 8:00 EST and I hope I can catch some of it. This is a game that USC must win if they want to be considered an elite team again. Although the Trojans are still on probation, this would be a great victory for the future. It will help with recruiting and hopefully USC can regain their previous prominence. With Pat Haden as the AD, I expect them to win the right way.

Also playing tomorrow night at about the same time will be my alma mater Utah. (By the way Miami Hurricane fans, the University of Utah is the real U.) The 3-4 Utes will be playing at home against 2-5 Oregon State. I'm challenging the Utes to stand up and win this game. Yes, I know Jordan Wynn is out for the season, but no more excuses. Jordan Wynn isn't the answer anyway. I hope both BYU and Utah can get real quarterbacks next season. Anyway it's time for Utah to get their first Pac 12 conference win tomorrow. OSU is a terrible team, I could care less they've won two in a row. They've started playing better but remember this is a team who lost to a D2 team and got manhandled by BYU at home. Utes, it's time to man up! If the Utes lose this game they should go back to the WAC and see if they can get back into that league. Yes I said the WAC not the MWC.

Then finally on Sunday Night Football 3-3 Dallas travels to Philadelphia to play the 2-4 Eagles. This game will be interesting and will tell us a lot about both teams. I'm not hyped up over either team's playoff chances. I predict this could be a make or break game for both teams. Although this also could be one good victory for two teams really going nowhere. With Washington losing their starting running back and tight end for the rest of the season, they are now a shell of what was only a mediocre team anyway. Dallas, New York and Philadelphia all could win the NFC East. Although I predict it will end up being a two team race and the wheels will come off for one of the teams. It's so close though I'm not going to predict how that will break out.

I've been compiling a list of new CDs that I want to listen to on Spotify. Here's the list and a quick review of each CD if I've listened to it yet.

1) Glen Campbell: "Ghost on the Canvas". Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 4 months now. This is his final CD and he's going on a final tour. I was surprised by how much I like this CD. Yes it has some filler, but overall a good CD. Grade: B-

2) The Bangles: "Sweetheart of the Sun". I should have been tipped off the horrid title. This CD sounds like a last gasp attempt at stardom for a band that hasn't had a hit in 20 years. Although in the song "Ball n' Chain" it does have a good line. "If brains were clothes, you wouldn't have anything to wear". That was good for a chuckle but unfortunately is the highlight of this very bad CD. Grade: F-

3) Duran Duran: "All You Need Is Now". Another classic 80's band trying to remain relevant in the era of Lady Gaga and all the crap rap. They are slightly more successful than the Bangles, but overall this is still a mediocre CD. Some people say this is Duran Duran's best CD since the 80's. However that's code for while this CD isn't great it's much better than the crap they've put out the last 20+ years. I disagree with that because their 1993 so called Wedding Album is better than "All You Need Is Now".

That CD had a couple of classic songs on it, "Ordinary World":


It also features this absolutely amazing song, "Come Undone". The female back up singers add a great touch to this song.


It also has this song "Too Much Information", which is a return to their classic 80's sound:


I haven't listened to any of the below CDs yet, but plan on doing so.

4) "Stronger"- Kelly Clarkson
5) "World Wide Rebel Songs": The Nightwatchman

I did listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers "I'm With You" and I wasn't really impressed. But I keep on reading good reviews of it so I'm going to give it another chance.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites