Friday, October 14, 2011

NBA Lockout Nonsense. "The Walking Dead", Shamefully Unknown Songs

Hello,

Today is the start of a three day weekend for me so I have a little time.

I'm getting so sick of all the NBA lockout talk. David Stern saying the whole season may be lost and then backing off that a couple of days later. Then a bit later he did cancel the first two weeks of the season. Now Stern is saying his "gut" is telling him if an agreement isn't reached by Tuesday there will be no Christmas Day games. And.....? The last thing I'm going to worrying about on Christmas Day is whether there are any NBA games on.

According to an espn.com poll, with over 36,000 votes cast, 50% of those voters predict there will be no NBA season. I think that would be great. Although I wish ESPN and other sports entities would stop mentioning it. Please just let the NBA miss the entire season. This is from Lebron James an example of the too much overvaluation of how fans feel about the NBA: "I wanna sincerely say sorry to all the fans! It’s a sad day for all of us, especially u guys! There’s no US w/o You. #loveuguys.No Lebron it's not an especially sad day for me. I'm not the one losing my job. I still have my job, still have my kids and live in the greatest country in the world. With the NBA canceling the first two weeks of the regular season, all I lost is a pleasant diversion. And with the internet I already have several pleasant diversions, so maybe losing one isn't that bad of a thing.

Also Boise State whatever you do please do not join the Big Least conference. They've recently lost two teams and TCU wisely chose to join the Big 12 starting July 1st, 2011. Originally they had said they were going to join the Big East. Yes I know the MWC is a league on its last days. But at least while you're in that conference scheduling will be a lot easier. Then on your weekends when you don't have conference games continue to play as many big boys as will dare play you. Yes I realize that means you have to play on the road or neutral games because these BCS schools are too scared to travel to Boise.

The outpouring of love for Steve Jobs continues. He's drawn covers from such magazines as Time and Rolling Stone. Also Wired magazine has produced a special ebook about Jobs. Which I think is kind of funny, as they wrote relatively little about him while he was alive. I think I might have written more about Apple/ Steve Jobs on this blog than Wired did in the last 3.5 years. 3.5 years is how long I've been writing this blog. I'm writing this blog on my MacBook as I listen to iTunes.

Oh yeah I'm very excitingly looking forward to the return of "The Walking Dead" on Sunday. I love the show about zombies. To prepare for the game I'll probably watch part of the Dallas Cowboys getting eaten alive by the Patriots. While "The Walking Dead" isn't even close to be being a perfect show, it does have a lot going for it. It's relatively original. When I watch it, it doesn't seem like I've seen this story before. Here's the trailer for Season 2:


Although the above trailer makes me wonder why don't they all get a bunch of guns and climb on top of the trailer and kill all the zombies? That's what I mean by not being a perfect show. "The Walking Dead" needs to stay away from the story telling lapses that "The Killing" is so fond of.

I have more time than usual today, but not much to say. Here are some songs that I love. I'm going to try and feature songs today that I haven't featured before. These are songs you probably won't hear on your radio, although I rarely listen to radio so what do I know.

I'm glad to see these guys are still performing. I think they are tragically unknown. This is Eisley and "Marvelous Things":


This is Eisley's quirky "Trolley Wood":


One of the most entrancing songs of the last several years, A Fine Frenzy's "You Picked Me":


Benny Mardones' "Into The Night":


This is such a tragically bad 80's video, it ranks high on the unintentional comedy scale. Apparantally this video had almost no budget. The model isn't that hot and Donnie Iris? Um, ok. But this is a great song.


This song absolutely kicks butt. Am I the only one that remembers this song? Sniff'n the tears "Driver's Seat":


Bob Welch's "Ebony Eyes":


Robert John's "Sad Eyes":


I haven't featured a lot of Jeff Lynne and Electric Light Orchestra (ELO), so here's some of their music. I'll start off with "Telephone Line":


"Sweet Talking Woman": (Aren't they all?)


"Last Train To London":


"Twilight" (That word was cool until a vapid vampire movie series took over the world, let's hope the song outlast the series.)


"Hold On Tight":


Before Bonnie Tyler had "A Total Eclipse of the Heart" and also before she needed a hero, she had a heartache:



Alright and two songs that will never get old, first Dead or Alive. This song comes from their debut "Youthquake" which is a very good CD. This is "You Spin Me Round". ( I hate that lame rapper that came and sullied this great 80's song.)


And finally the song best known for the first video ever to be shown on MTV. A note for you kids. MTV used to show virtually only videos before advancing into the crappy television they show today. I wish "Jersey Shore" would go away and videos would come back.

The Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star"


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites