Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NBA Canceling More Games, The Greed of Lawyers, Great Songs

Hello,

According to espn.com the NBA will announce today that more regular season games will be cancelled. The NBA will cancel at least 102 more games through November 28th. So much for David Stern's non threat if a resolution wasn't reached by last Tuesday all games through Christmas Day would be cancelled. With all of Stern's false threats not coming to fruition, is it time to let someone else represent the NBA in negotiations? Also how many games are they going to cancel before they just cancel the whole season?

Today is Day 117 of the NBA Lockout and with no word of future negotiations it looks like they will sail past the NFL's 132 day lockout. On Day 117 in the NFL Lockout it was generally agreed that it was only a matter of time until their lockout ended. Other than the St. Louis Rams, Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins fans, most people are glad the NFL is back.

MLB owners and players, who are in the midst of a very tense and exciting World Series, I beg of you not to have a lockout/strike when your labor agreement expires on December 11th of this year. (The December 11th date may be wrong as I'm relying on my memory. I was unable to confirm the specific date.) Bud Selig et al. please learn from the greedy idiots of the NBA and NFL and resolve your labor issues asap. Now I know baseball players are just as greedy as those other leagues but I'm hoping MLB agrees to a new contract without any public dispute. Dearest MLB wouldn't you much rather advertise your league as a league that hasn't missed games this millennium? The last time MLB cancelled games was in the 1994-1995 season, that whole season was cancelled. It will be interesting to see how much the NHL and MLB can capitalize on the NFL and NBA lockouts.

A potential lockout/strike could be a future scourge of Major League Baseball. However Dodgers owner Frank McCourt remains a current scourge of MLB. Reports are coming out today that he took $190 million dollars from the Los Angeles Dodgers for personal reasons. This is one of the many issues currently being argued in a Delaware bankruptcy court. At what point is his stupidity and greed going to get him kicked out from being the Dodgers owner? He's learned how to tie up issues in court so he can keep the Dodgers as long as possible. Wouldn't it be better to use that money and go out and get Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder or Roy Oswalt signed to a free agent contract?

Here's a frightening number before I move on to more happy topics. In my few experiences with lawyers I hated it. Their greed and avarice are even more extreme than professional sports leagues. The McCourts have been battling each other for several months over their divorce. Through July of this year, over $20 million dollars has been spent on lawyers for both sides. That's just through July of this year. Both the McCourts have agreed to terms of a divorce, but a judge hasn't signed off on it yet. Imagine how much more money has been spent on lawyers since July?

This is just a complete guess, but lets say both sides have spent over $25 million dollars on attorneys through today. (I don't know if that total includes the money McCourt has spent for his bankruptcy charade or his battle with MLB.) Think about that number, $25 million, for a few minutes. Imagine what could be done with that kind of money. Couldn't the lawyers and courts split $1,000,000 and the rest of the money go to something much more productive?

Aren't there homeless children in LA that could use that money for permanent housing? Isn't the state of California in a severe financial bind now? Couldn't that money be used to pay off some of it's debts? Couldn't some of that money go to Brian Stow's family? He's the person beaten so badly at a Dodgers-Giants game that he was in a coma for a few months. I'm guessing his medical bills are high. Couldn't that money go to the educational system in California? Lawyers suck! I understand why people compare lawyers and vampires, but that comparison is unfair to vampires.

I think for Halloween I'm going to go as Frank McCourt. I'm going to put on a suit and walk around with my hand out.

Okay I think that's enough of the idiocy of sports.

Here are some great songs. Let's start first with a few of my favorite Smiths songs. Yes, they have many other great songs besides "How Soon Is Now". This is "Girlfriend In A Coma":


This might be my favorite Smiths song, "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". I especially love the lines "And if a double decker bus crashes into us to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die. And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us to die by your side well the pleasure, the privilege is mine."


Here's a song from one of the best 80's soundtracks ever, "Pretty In Pink". This song is "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want":


Recently it was announced that Madonna is going to be the Super Bowl halftime entertainment this season. I think that's a good choice, I was reminded of the greatness of her music when I heard "Like A Prayer" on my iPod this morning. She was great especially in the 80's, she released classic after classic all through that decade. I'm hoping she doesn't sing this lame version:


The above version strips the song of all the things that makes it such a classic song. Madonna please learn from the Black Eyed Peas Super Bowl halftime debacle. Do not repeat their mistakes. This is how "Like A Prayer" should sound:


Here's some other lesser known but still great songs. I'm starting with Southern Culture on the Skids. My thanks to Tom Tom Music for playing this CD when I was in their store many years ago. I'm not sure if Tom Tom Music is still around, but this great song still is. The CD Tom Tom was playing was "Plastic Seat Sweat", I would highly urge you to add that to your collection.


Here's one of the most obnoxious and annoying songs of all-time. In other words I absolutely love it. This is President of the United States "Peaches":


I don't feature the gorgeous Rihanna enough, this is the very sexy "Russian Roulette":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites