Tuesday, October 18, 2011

World Series, "A Gifted Man"

Hello,

Welcome to blog #990 of themusicaddict.

I'm back today for a bit at least. With a new quarter starting at the school I work at and many of the medical students needing books it has been quite crazy. Then over the weekend I had my kids. We always have a lot of fun and of course my priority is my kids over my blog. Anyway I'd like to start off my blog with a couple of great songs.

I love this great Dan Seals song, although it always makes me sad.


Then here's this funky, less well known Depeche Mode song. I love this song:



Tomorrow night the World Series starts. And as a big MLB fan all I can is who cares? I don't like or dislike either the Rangers or Cardinals enough to have a rooting interest in this year's World Series. The only thing I really feel about this World Series is the sadness that the Atlanta Braves didn't make it to the playoffs. I don't know if they would have got to the World Series, and given the Braves recent playoff history it's doubtful, but I sure would have loved them having the chance.

My only prediction about the World Series is that I predict I'll be watching very little of it. Instead I'll continue to work through season two of "Lost". I love how Season One ended with Jack and Locke looking down the hatch. Then Season 2 starts right off with getting in the hatch and starting to find out the secrets of the Dharma Initiative. I think it's all a big psychological experiment. I'm not sure why they are going through the effort of punching in the code ever 108 minutes. Them doing that reminds me of some classic psychological experiments from the past.

Again for the most part I'm so over the flashbacks. If they were used sparingly it would be one thing. But since they take a rather significant part of each episode, they are now getting tiresome. I'm not caring a whole lot about Locke's back story about giving his kidney to his Dad or Hurley winning all the money in the lottery.

Another show I'm watching is "A Gifted Man". This past Friday's episode was, "In Case of Separation Anxiety". I love this show starring Patrick Wilson as Dr. Michael Holt. In last week's episode he cited his 100% surgery success rate. Him being perfect continues to be tiresome. Although I do like that he's slowly opening up. I love the character of his dead ex-wife Anna. Jennifer Ehle plays that role with such compassion and grace. Anna was a person who put the good of others before her own, sometimes to a fault. She's the heart and he's the brains of the show. Something similar those two characters discussed last night. With Anna being dead I wonder where are they going with those two characters.

As with any other show on TV, this show has it's requisite number of hotties, which starts with the gorgeous Julie Benz. I'm glad she bounced back from that atrocity known as "No Ordinary Family". Although like that show, which had a fast start before crashing, I'm getting a little bit nervous that "A Gifted Man" may follow the same path. (Another eerie similarity between the two shows is how they use similar episode titles. "NOF" started off each episode with "No Ordinary...". "A Gifted Man's" titles start with "In Case of..".)

But although "A Gifted Man" is having ratings struggles, it being cancelled wouldn't be the gorgeous Julie Benz's fault. Also it won't be Rachelle Lefevre's fault either. Lefevre plays Kate, who's now in charge of Anna's old clinic. Kate already has convinced Dr. Holt to work 10 hours at the clinic to impress the board and shore up the staff. That shouldn't be hard as it's only 10 blocks from where he works. Also he seems to be over at the clinic twice an episode anyway. Obviously the story is being set up as hinting that Kate and Dr. Holt will be getting together. From the sparks flying in this episode, that will be sooner rather than later.

Is this show perfect? Not even close. Dr. Holt never making a mistake has worn out it's welcome. It doesn't make for much drama or is it believable. The stories resolved in one episode also seems a bit unrealistic. Quality of episodes also seems to be dropping from week to week. Hopefully that's a brief lapse and not a trend. And every case being resolved in one week feels forced. Would it be bad to have a story line run over two or three episodes?

But I love the characters as I mentioned. I love the spirituality and positive themes in the show. They've just have got to be careful and not become too sappy. So far "A Gifted Man" has mostly avoided that sappiness, but it has come close. Please check it out because it has so much potential. I'd like it to stay on the air in hopes it can reach that potential.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites