Friday, January 4, 2013

What You Can Do With a $15 iTunes Gift Card. (Plus A Bit More)

Hello,

After Christmas ended and all the gifts were handed out, I still had a $15 iTunes gift card remaining. I decided to use it. I prefer buying actual CDs still (yes I'm old), but digital music is a good way to fill in blanks in my music collection. I keep a list of songs that I don't have yet, so when I do have some spare money I can buy more great songs. Also today I looked through the songs for 69c that iTunes has available now. Also I browsed iTunes a bit. So from my list and browsing the below are the songs that I bought today.

The first 4 songs are the 69c songs I bought.

I love No Doubt, but am not a big fan of their latest CD "Push and Shove". However I really like this song, "Looking Hot":



I'm not sure how I didn't have this song on my iTunes. This is only one of the many amazing songs from the 80's. "Separate Lives"- Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin:



Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway's "The Closer I Get To You":



And the final 69c song I downloaded today, Waylon Jennings "The Dukes of Hazzard":



The specific songs I went to iTunes to buy.

I'm such a sucker for 80's sentimentality. Dennis DeYoung's "Desert Moon":



Dan Hill and Vonda Shepherd's "Can't We Try":



The Smiths are one of my all-time favorite bands, I also love a lot of Morrissey's solo stuff. This is from the CD "Your Arsenal" and the best song from that CD. Morrissey's "Glamorous Glue":



Conway Twitty's "Tight Fittin Jeans":



This is another song that I can't believe I didn't have on my iTunes, Chris Deburgh's "Lady In Red":



This is one of those obscure 80's songs I found out about because of it's seemingly incessant play on MTV in the early 80's. (Of course this was back when MTV was relevant, before they started littering their airwaves with the stupidity of "Buck Wild" and "Jersey Shore".)



I wanted to buy this song, but for some reason it's not available on iTunes yet. I've been looking to add it to my collection for the last several months. This video only has 862 views, this is the Thompson Twins "Sugar Daddy":



While looking at these songs, I decided to browse other Thompson Twins songs. I loved the Twins back in the day, they had some of the best and most fun songs in the 80's. I already had most of their hits, but that didn't mean I had all their good songs. I ended up adding 3 more of their songs to my iTunes.

I'm surprised that this is the third most popular Thompson Twins song on iTunes, I vaguely remember it. It's on the soundtrack for one of my favorite 80's movies, "Sixteen Candles". This is "If You Were Here":



This song is good enough to add to my collection, "Don't Mess With Doctor Dream":



"We Are Detective":



Another song I wanted to buy. I bought the All-4-One version over the John Michael Montgomery version. I'm not sure I picked the right one:



John Michael Montgomery's version:



Then browsing, I also added this song: All-4-Ones "I Swear": (Strangely enough John Michael Montgomery also sings a version of this song.)



Then other songs I was reminded of by browsing. This next song I had on cassingle. Do you remember those? They were just one of the worst ideas ever had by the music industry. First up is Maxi Priest's "Close To You":



Donna Lewis' "I Love You Always and Forever":



And a song that I will have to add the next time I have some extra dough. Conway Twitty's "I May Never Get To Heaven":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites