Saturday, January 12, 2013

Go 49ers. San Francisco's Playoffs Start Today, Other Sports Notes

Hello,

In a few hours the 49ers will be taking the field at Candlestick Park against the Green Bay Packers in the NFC's Divisional Playoff round. Although my lifelong team is the Cowboys, I've got tired of all the dumb decisions they've made the last several years. I'm also sick of not having someone to cheer for in the playoffs. The playoffs just are much less interesting when you don't have a rooting interest. In addition to Dallas, I also adopted the 49ers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I'm very excited to watch the game today. (Please just keep Kyle Williams away from the ball.)

I'm starting to feel that nervousness build up about today's big game.

Aaron Rodgers, after the 49ers win today, please will you retire the championship belt celebration. It lost it's charm a long time ago. Those State Farm commercials can go away too.

In the other three playoff games this weekend: As long as Peyton Manning remains upright, I predict Denver gets by Baltimore today. Then tomorrow it will be Atlanta vs. Seattle. If I was a betting man I'd bet on the Falcons. However I won't be surprised at all if the Seahawks win. A third battle between the 49ers and Seahawks to go to the Super Bowl could be very fun. I predict that New England is just too good for the Texans. (Unlike that other NFL team from Texas, at least Houston can make the playoffs. Of course they don't have a meddling owner and a puppet for a head coach.)

Thank you North Carolina State for beating the lerpy Dukies today. I have a great respect for the Blue Devils men's basketball program, however I dislike them. Do they have a farm in Durham where they grow big lerpy white guys? Is that why they have so many year after year after year? Starting with Mike Gminski, Jay Bilas (although I like him on ESPN), Cherokee Parks, Christian Laettner, Kyle Singler, Ryan Kelly and now the Plumlee twins. Like one Plumlee wasn't bad enough? Yes, I know one of the Plumlees is being ineffective in the NBA now. Thanks again Wolfpack!

It's no coincidence that A'mare Stoudemire has come back to the Knicks and that they've lost 3 games in a row. He's not that good of a player and clogs up the Knicks offense. I also love how the Knicks say they are going to limit his minutes due to his health. That's a nice way for the Knicks to say they don't want to play the black hole. It's good to see the Knicks reverting back to the team they truly are.

The Jazz seemed to have finally started heading in the right direction, although their loss to Atlanta last night was disappointing. They had a 15 point lead at one point but still ended up losing. I like the fact that Coach Corbin is giving Alec Burks point guard minutes. Hopefully he can turn into the long term solution as the Jazz's point guard. The Devin Harris and Mo Williams stopgap measures the last couple of seasons have been less than inspiring. I think Williams being out with an injury has been a blessing in disguise for the Jazz.

Oh yeah is it the baseball season yet? I'm excited to see how the Dodgers, Braves, Red Sox and Pirates do this season. Although I question the Pirates spending so much money for Russell Martin. Russell Martin? It will also be interesting to see how the Cubs mess up this season. Sadly they have been a dysfunctional franchise for such a long time.

I also thought the message sending voting for the Baseball Hall of Fame was interesting. There's no question where they stand when it comes to the steroid era. Clearly enough of them didn't want these alleged cheaters in the Hall of Fame. Now I wonder will they vote like this every year? Roger Clemons only received 37.6% of the vote, but he probably deserves to make the hall. Barry Bonds only received 36.2% of the vote. Let's be honest Bonds had earned being inducted into the Hall of Fame before he started taking steroids. I hated when my teams played against bonds, he could beat you with both his feet and his bat. Both Clemons and Bonds were reported to be jerks, I'm sure that had something to do with both getting so few votes.

Mark McGwire only received 16.9%, Sammy Sosa 12.5% and Rafeal Palmeiro only received 8.8% of the vote. That's not an encouraging trend for players like Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz and their hopes of making the Hall of Fame when they become eligible.

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites